SP-580 vs SP-580x .... I can buy the 580 on sale....should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be doing a spark plug change. I see that the 'x' version of this plug is the current one being sold. But I can buy the 580 at just $8 a plug from a local parts store. they are normally $12 but they have them on sale (or clearance?)
I have a 2017 Expedition and so would assume the 580's are what is in it now?

Should I?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Motorcraft plus are not the best. If you are going through the trouble to replace them. There are better options.

NGK LTR7BHX (95605)​

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Motorcraft plus are not the best. If you are going through the trouble to replace them. There are better options.

NGK LTR7BHX (95605)​

Thank you for your response.
My vehicle has run exceptionally well these last 104,000 miles with the Factory installed Motorcraft plugs. So, in the six years since I bought the vehicle, new, the manufacturing of the plugs is not as well made as they used to be?

No misfires and getting as much as 23mpg's on the highway at times has been my experience with the OEM plugs.......so I am a bit mystified by this.

But I do respect and appreciate you sharing your expertise on this.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is correct. In general the NGK Ruthenium plugs are a better plug. This is not something to cheap out on. I don't understand saving a few bucks on something as important as plugs. You do you. You can search on here for Spark Plugs, and see the comments from those running the better plugs, and the improvements they have seen. Don't have to take my word for it. Plus, if you haven't changed them yet, and you are at 104K, you should do them more often than that. Yes, ford says 100K, but every set I have pulled even as early as 30-40K, the gap has not been consistent. That is the important part. Could probably have regapped, and put back in, but if they are out, they are getting replaced with better for me.

So who knows, you could have seen 25-26 MPG(What we saw with our 2017 on the highway regularly) with the above mentioned plugs, gapped at .028. So, you never know.

Also, there will be people that say the OEM are made by NGK, they are, but they aren't the same as the NGK Ruthenium, they are mass produced to Ford specs to meet a basic need and price point.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is correct. In general the NGK Ruthenium plugs are a better plug. This is not something to cheap out on. I don't understand saving a few bucks on something as important as plugs. You do you. You can search on here for Spark Plugs, and see the comments from those running the better plugs, and the improvements they have seen. Don't have to take my word for it. Plus, if you haven't changed them yet, and you are at 104K, you should do them more often than that. Yes, ford says 100K, but every set I have pulled even as early as 30-40K, the gap has not been consistent. That is the important part. Could probably have regapped, and put back in, but if they are out, they are getting replaced with better for me.

So who knows, you could have seen 25-26 MPG(What we saw with our 2017 on the highway regularly) with the above mentioned plugs, gapped at .028. So, you never know.

Also, there will be people that say the OEM are made by NGK, they are, but they aren't the same as the NGK Ruthenium, they are mass produced to Ford specs to meet a basic need and price point.
Thanks for the additional input. Admittedly I have used NGK plugs in other applications. So.......why not here too........??

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well.....I went to the NGK web site and they indicate I need this plug # for my 2017 Expedition.
ngk plug.JPG

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well.....I went to the NGK web site and they indicate I need this plug # for my 2017 Expedition.
View attachment 79503
Correct. Heat Range. The one they list on the site is one heat range warmer than what I mentioned above. It is well documented the 3.5TT Ecoboost motors like 1 Heat Range cooler than what ford puts in them. The 6 in the middle is the heat range of the plug. The one I recommended is a 7, and in NGK speak, that is one range "Cooler". I have been working with EcoBoost Motors since late 2015. As you can see in my signature, I have owned several, including both a 2015 Expedition, and 2017. Even stock I have seen benefits from the colder plugs. Smoother idle being one of them. The one listed below is what many tuners recommend, even when not tuned. Several here have switched to them, and seen benefit. Do your own research.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani