Spare Key Fob Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Hello all,

My current key is as shown in the pic below
20221102_105240.jpg

I am not too aware and sure about various numbers on the fob. Which one is the FCC ID, or MPN or Model number.

I was not able to find the exact TYPE number while searching for a blank key fob to be programmed.

I have narrowed down the following item from AliExpress- can anyone review and please inform if I would be able to program and use it as a 2nd key.

Clipboard Image.jpg

Thanks.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, A few questions.

What year and details on your Expedition are always a good starting point in this type of thread.

Do you only have 1 working key? If so you are going to have issues using the customer programming process, because you 2 keys to add a 3rd, but can't use 1 to add a 2nd. That has to be done by a shop, Ford, Locksmith, somebody skilled in FORSCAN.

OP
OP
A

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Well, A few questions.

What year and details on your Expedition are always a good starting point in this type of thread.

Do you only have 1 working key? If so you are going to have issues using the customer programming process, because you 2 keys to add a 3rd, but can't use 1 to add a 2nd. That has to be done by a shop, Ford, Locksmith, somebody skilled in FORSCAN.
Sure I will add these details in my signature going forwward.

The question was pertaining to XLT 2020, Package 202a.

Yes I only have one working key.

I have my VC-Linker+ on the way (OBDLInk MX+ was way too expensive for occasional one-time use). Probably will get Forscan 2 months windows extended license as well (if needed).

Can you inform if key programming is
1. A reversible process with option to take snapshot backup and restoring original settings in case of any mishap (slow bluetooth connection etc).
2. Can be done by semi-pro beginner.
3. Any link to a trusted guide about the process would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have done LOTS of work with FORSCAN, but sadly never a key programming. I have added a 3rd and 4th key, but never had to deal with only having 1.

There are several videos out there, that seem to step through the process. I would also do some searching on FORSCAN.org, as there are many threads related to it.

If you are comfortable with Tech, and take your time, I think you will be fine. If it gives an error, acts like it is going down the wrong path, stop, ask in the FORSCAN Forums, or get a professional to do it.

Most modules can have the hex code backed up, and restored. The PATS module might not be one of those. Again, never tried, because not a module I typically mess with.

As far as the VCLinker, you will be fine. I think you will find you use it more than this once though. Look at codes, clear them, and maybe use FORSCAN to make some other tweaks.

OP
OP
A

AlterEgo

Reaction score
I bought the following from AliExpress for my XLT 2022 202A.

1671695681135.png

As it was the 2nd key fob for me - hence pairing it with car was not an easy trivial task as explained in the post above. I avoided any experiments by myself as a precaution and took the key to the dealership - they examined it for a bit and kept it with the condition that they will try to pair it.

I left my car for a day for other periodic maintenance/service work, however they were able to program/sync the key with the car - and charged me separately only for this service.

You can check with your dealer if going this route would have better savings instead of buying a new pre-programmed one from the dealer (which very likely would be overpriced).