Question about Key Fob Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJason

Reaction score
I picked up my 2023 XLT this week. After losing an OEM key fob on another vehicle, I didn’t want that inconvenience or expense again. I watched some videos online (and reviewed the owners manual), and was able to successfully (?) program two generic Amazon key fobs ($56 each, and identical to OEM except for no Ford logo).

I think. When I go into the MyKey settings, it shows I have 4 Admin key fobs, so that tells me the process worked. Same with the fact that I can lock and unlock the car with the generic fob buttons while the OEM keys are in the house

However, when I get in the car I see a “No Key Detected“ message and I cannot start it. The only way I can start it with one of the generic keys is to place it inside the programming slot. On or near it doesn’t work, it has to be in the slot. Then I can start and drive away. Again, this is with the OEM keys in the house.

Here is what I tried that did not work:
1) I tried programming the fobs again, but I get a message saying that I have hit the max of 4 fobs.
2) I swapped the battery from my new OEM key fob (which works every time) to the generic fob, thinking it was just a bad battery. No luck.
3) Searched YouTube, this site, the general internet … I can’t find anything else to try.

Have any of you hit this issue or do you have any ideas? Secondly, if I do return the keys, is there a way to wipe them from my car so I’m back to the two OEM admin keys? I think I need someone with the PATS system to do that.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FORSCAN can remove the keys. My guess is that while it can lock/unlock because it just has the HF radio, but not the RFID radio which is needed for the Keyless Start.

OP
OP
ColoradoJason

ColoradoJason

Reaction score
I don’t think I ever tried that until just now, but no. I used the buttons to lock and unlock, and placing the key in the backup/programming slot will allow the car to start. However, walking up to the car with the programmed generic key will not unlock via the proximity feature.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think I ever tried that until just now, but no. I used the buttons to lock and unlock, and placing the key in the backup/programming slot will allow the car to start. However, walking up to the car with the programmed generic key will not unlock via the proximity feature.
That is the issue then. They are missing a radio, or aren't picking up the setting correctly.

rbeauch

Reaction score
I purchased 2 keyfobs from this site and they programmed and work flawlessly.

2023 Keyfob:

It doesn't come with a battery.

2022 Expedition Limited.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To program the key, did you just plug them Into the slot? Did you need an adapter to program them? I bought a key on Amazon that needs to be programmed.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OEM FOBs can be programmed by following the programming steps. I am not sure about aftermarket FOBs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire