Spark plug change... my wallet hurts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I realize platinum is an expensive metal, but $16 a plug????
I have $130 into just plugs. Another $100 in the broken plug tool, the state gets their cut of course, and this is a $250 spark plug change.
I thought it was expensive to do a plug change in my 300C with 16 plugs.

Atleast I can recoup some of the cost by selling the plug extractor after...

My wallet is sad..

B

bedrck46

$10.57 EA on e-bay brand new was the lowest price I found

mbilak

Reaction score
Vote for which way to remove plugs

Haven't posted fro a long time but I need to change the plugs in my 05.
I have seen Fords TSB method, and also what some of the garages and a few people on youtube are doing... run engine up to temp and remove with Impact wrench.
I'm open to suggestions and advice or anything else to change plugs.
(Other that $800.00 at the dealer) Who has had success with what methods?

thanks

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought the broken plug removal tool off of amazon for about $60 last year when I did my plugs. Glad I did as 6 of the 8 broke. The plugs at the dealer were $12 each as they price matched what autozone or Advance Auto was selling them for. I can see the impact wrench working well as it may actually break up the carbon deposits on the tip, but I can also see it causing more problems if the plugs are prone to breaking anyway. I would hate to get pieces of the porceline in the cylinder if a plug were to shatter under the impact.

Berg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why does the 300C have so dam many ?????????

OP
OP
A

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For the emissions crap. The second plug fires on the exhaust stroke to try to burn any leftover fuel.
Ford 2.3 4 cylinders had the same type of system for a while.

I havent started the task yet, but im going to when I get home from work today. I am going to try to get the plugs out with a warm engine and a 3/8" impact. If i break some, thats what the tool is for, if I dont, I can return the tool. Lets hope it works that way.