Spark plugs - I'm a little confused about what to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really shouldn't bad mouth Champions. They've been around a long time. Accel offers some 1-piece plugs too, but they're straight copper instead of platinum or other magic metal.
Haven't heard of the SP-546s breaking off in the heads like the old original designs did. Here's a Ford TSB on replacing the plugs. They recommend a nickel anti-seize on that lower section. http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_08-7-6.pdf
I gave you a link to a 5/8" sparkplug socket set earlier. But your plugs are 9/16" hex, sorry.

https://www.amazon.com/LEXIVON-Swivel-Enhanced-Magnetic-LX-123/dp/B07M9ZB15D/ref=sr_1_21?crid=2NHXGXAYDATN4&dchild=1&keywords=9/16+spark+plug+socket+magnetic+deep&qid=1613784330&sprefix=9/16+spark,aps,171&sr=8-21

My dad worked in dealership parts departments all his life. Had a Champion jacket. Used to give me a toy Champion truck every year (I figure the Champion rep handed them out). I suppose because of that I trust the brand, but that was a looong time ago and it wouldn't be the first time a once solid brand went downhill.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change those boots and springs. I had my plugs changed at Ford and they put back the crusty old boots and I had misfires until I changed them out. False economy considering what I paid Ford.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I tend to consider plugs and coils to be a maintenance item - peace of mind. Easy to do, and then I don't have to worry about an issue down the road considering I bought a 14 year old truck with 184k miles on it.

I figured if I have to take the coils off to do the plugs I might as well put new coils back on. I didn't know they are actually two parts - the coil and boot separate. I'll do the plugs and boots and report back here for others' reference if it solves the issue.

OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change those boots and springs. I had my plugs changed at Ford and they put back the crusty old boots and I had misfires until I changed them out. False economy considering what I paid Ford.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Springs?

Edit: never mind, I see what they are now

Last edited:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are three replacements for the Ford two-piece booby trap.
FWIW, it took forever to find this - i went through almost a dozen stories about the dreaded POS plug; all talked about the problems with the two piece design, and NOT ONE mentioned a replacement.
I saw several articles talking about how to remove the broken plugs, they all began with “loosen the plug 1/4 turn”... duh!!!!! If we could loosen the plug, we could get the GD thing out!!!!

Do these asshats bother to read what they are typing?

F313B1A4-3A44-4367-BB54-E1464BDC11B1.png

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
As Ham and Jamaica said, change the boots with the plugs. About $40; money well spent. When you get them out you'll see how crappy they look. Dielectric grease on each end of the contact spring and on the inside of the boot. Coils aren't a maintenance item.

Reaction score
Have 260+ miles on my 07 Expedition EL. I have replace and used the 546 as well. However your second statement says it stutters going down the rd. I am assuming you have the 5.4 triton?? If you are doing the work yourself then replacing at that mileage (which I did) is the first place I went to and it did not solve the stutter. At that mileage it very well could be the timing chain assembly that the 5.4 Triton Engine are know to "wear out" even if you are religious about oil changes. Don't discount the timing chain assembly from being the culprit. Your describing exactly what I went thru and some buddies that have a 5.4 went thru as well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are three replacements for the Ford two-piece booby trap.
FWIW, it took forever to find this - i went through almost a dozen stories about the dreaded POS plug; all talked about the problems with the two piece design, and NOT ONE mentioned a replacement.
I saw several articles talking about how to remove the broken plugs, they all began with “loosen the plug 1/4 turn”... duh!!!!! If we could loosen the plug, we could get the GD thing out!!!!

Do these asshats bother to read what they are typing?

View attachment 40498

You are so clueless I don’t even know where to start. Wow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
postwick

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have 260+ miles on my 07 Expedition EL. I have replace and used the 546 as well. However your second statement says it stutters going down the rd. I am assuming you have the 5.4 triton?? If you are doing the work yourself then replacing at that mileage (which I did) is the first place I went to and it did not solve the stutter. At that mileage it very well could be the timing chain assembly that the 5.4 Triton Engine are know to "wear out" even if you are religious about oil changes. Don't discount the timing chain assembly from being the culprit. Your describing exactly what I went thru and some buddies that have a 5.4 went thru as well.

Yes it's the 5.4 Triton. When you say you had the same symptoms... Stutter only at highway speeds at minimal throttle?