Spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought an 08 with 145000 miles on it can anyone tell me what years were the spark plugs issues

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Black or brown boots on the coils?

Black=trouble

Brown=no trouble

08 was the break year on the spark plugs issue.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As adieu said depends if they’ve been changed before. If it’s the original style and they’ve been done they are likely the updated 2 piece plugs that don’t break. If it’s a later 08 it has regular plugs that don’t break either.

For the record I have owned (2) 2007 Expeditions with the 2-piece plugs and black boots. I had no breakage on the old plugs on either truck because they were replaced with the updated ones.

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To the OP:

I have a 2008 Expd Limited with 207K+ miles on it, the ignition coils are black and the OEM spark plugs are: Motorcraft SP-509 (HJFS-24FP SP509 HJFS24P). I highly suggest a automotive mechanic in servicing this job maybe not a Ford dealership mechanic because it'll cost a fortune plus a rental car. My mechanic started at 8AM and it was done by 3PM what takes so long is wishing your spark plugs don't snap when they are being taken out, they spray penetrating oil in the spark plug port and let them soak for over 1-3hrs even more depending on difficulty in removing. Good luck and pray the plugs don't snap in removal.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^ if they snap, there's a special extraction tool made by Lisle to get them out. There are a few videos on YouTube on how to do it, including some tips on preventing the snapping. Check out vids by "Ford Tech Makuloco" on the topic, he's the 5.4L Triton guru on YT...

;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chase5817