Sparkplug change on 03 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just lost my 2nd COP and tore into the engine to replace this. Cylinders 1,2,3,5,6 and 7 are not that bad. I have been replacing them as they fail and the first was #5 (the easiest) and I just did #3 last night. It took maybe 25 minutes. I only needed one swivel. I do suggest waiting for the engine to be almost totally cool before starting.

I was really surprised, not only was the #3 plug easy to get out, it was loose like it was never tightened. These are the original plugs/COPs. It wasn't tight at all in the cylinder. #5 was tight but not hard to get out.

I suggest 2 spark plug sockets, one with the rubber plug gripper and one without. I found that I could not get the gripped socket off the plug so I had to remove the plug again and reinsert it with a socket without the gripper. I just manually dropped the plug in the cylinder and stuck in the socket after that.

I used plenty of anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the spring and boot area also.

Oh and after 110k miles the plugs looked great.

Also I got a set of 8 COPs on Amazon for $50!

Amazon.com: FORD 4.6L 5.4L V8 COMPLETE SET OF 8 IGNITION COILS DG508: Automotive

Ford wants $375 just for labor to replace all 8 plugs plus an additional $110 for each plug that breaks on the way out. I don't think the breakage problem is as bad as it is made out to be.

Will my CEL reset itself and turn off? I have been going to advanced auto to have them scan for which COP is bad when it comes on for free. Do I need to disconnect the battery?

B

bedrck46

If you have a smart phone invest in a blue tooth OBDII device about $10.00 and install the Torque Pro app on your phone You will be able to read codes and clear then plus much more useful information.

when you replace cop's its a good idea to use dielectric grease on the wire inside of the boot

also bad idea to drop the plug down the plug well as you may possible hit the ground electrode and bend it which would change the gap or at worse cause a short on the plug Always best to take a spark plug socket and wrap tape around the socket and extension and again use some dielectric grease so the rubber insert doesn't grip on the plug when pulling out

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a smart phone invest in a blue tooth OBDII device about $10.00 and install the Torque Pro app on your phone You will be able to read codes and clear then plus much more useful information.

when you replace cop's its a good idea to use dielectric grease on the wire inside of the boot

also bad idea to drop the plug down the plug well as you may possible hit the ground electrode and bend it which would change the gap or at worse cause a short on the plug Always best to take a spark plug socket and wrap tape around the socket and extension and again use some dielectric grease so the rubber insert doesn't grip on the plug when pulling out

or attach the spark plug to a rubber hose when install. after tight turn with the rubber hose, then pull the hose off and torque down with the wrench.

OP
OP
F

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks I just ordered one.

I was concerned about the electrode. I thought I could very carefully put in in place with the non-grommet socket but it ended up falling into the hole. I decided to just put it back together and see how it ran and it runs perfect. Next time I will use the hose method.

I put dielectric grease on the spring inside the COP as well as the entire boot area and connector on the plug.