Speaker Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSRocket

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2003 Expedition with a factory 6 CD changer. I find that the speakers are very weak. Is it really the speakers or the fact that the cabin is so open that it sounds that way? Has anyone had any luck replacing them?
Thanks

1999xlt

Reaction score
I believe its the speakers. I have seen threads elsewhere about drastic sound improvement by merely changing the speakers.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I put some Infinity Reference 5x7's all the way around and they made a difference. I was not satisfied with the low end so I added two amps, one for the factory locations and one for a 12". Now I'm a little more satisfied.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a '98 EB, but if replacement is anything like your '03, then it is just plain stupid simple. I changed all my door speakers in about 45 min.

I bought thru Crutchfield (I have no ties to them), and they provide all the extras plus instructions.

One note to the wise, be sure to protect the speakers. In my case, the front door speakers were enclosed in a case. I wondered why, then saw that if there were any leaks from the seal on the window, the speakers would be dripped on and trashed. I had purchased just for the heck of it the waterproof foam baffles, not knowing if I would need them....I did, and put them on all speakers. I also installed the "bass blockers" to help prevent distortion, letting the sub handle the lows.

Good Luck!!

G

I replaced mine with 6.5" Focals. And as with the others it made a huge difference in sound quality.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5" X 7" is the stock size for the speakers. There is a guy that has a SPAM somewhere on the site that says he has adapters for sale to go from the factory size to 6" or 5 1/4". You can get them at Circuit City or Best Buy as well from Metra. They should cost $10 or so. If you order that size from Crutchfield, they give you the adapters and speaker harness free.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69