Speed sensor location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Harper

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Expedition, 4WD 5.4 engine.
2 days ago 4WD lights and others lit up, OD light on shift started blinking, engine check light came on.
Speedometer is reading 0 (zero)
Vehicle only shifts into 1st or 2nd.
DTC = P0500

I'm quite sure the VSS is bad probably.

When searching the web to determine a.) where the sensor is located and b.) the correct part to get, I'm not getting consistent readings from anyone or postings as to where this sensor is. Remember I have a 4WD.

There's discussions about output shaft speed sensors, speed sensors, speed sensors on the differentials, and on and on, with all of these different sensors descriptions and location being used loosely in various discussions.

I feel confident I can do this job myself if I could just get some absolute accurate information.

Thanks ... waiting for THE answer.

Al Harper

P.S. Photo's welcome

OP
OP
A

Al Harper

Reaction score
Thanks much. But it's a bit hard to tell which sensor it's pointing to. I crawled under the car earlier and noticed 2 sensor looking items on or around that rear facing output shaft plate. One of the sensors was much smaller that the other and was pretty much mounted flush on that plate. I also saw another larger looking part that I would have voted on as being the actual VSS.
Do You know what I'm talking about? Do you recall the much smaller sensor? And am I correct in that it is the larger item?

I crawled under the card again and took some picture. The smaller looking sensor is the one covered in oil.

Al Harper

20180224_180349.jpg

20180224_180341.jpg

20180224_180334.jpg