Speedometer calibration after lift/tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Especially true of the Max version, which is what I have. Trying to make an off road vehicle out of it is an exercise in futility.

Tit’s, Tires and Tracks, the bigger the better.
ef6ab76a9229af6f01efe5f61c550fed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it odd that people would jack their vehicle to decenter the wheels and tires, then have to cut the wheel well liners, recalibrate their speedo, etc, the benefit of which is increasing ground clearance by one half of the increase in tire diameter. I will repeat, really dumb.
Hate much?!?!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Especially true of the Max version, which is what I have. Trying to make an off road vehicle out of it is an exercise in futility.

Unless you are realistic about the capabilities. While I am not out there rock crawling. The trails I run in my EL are an absolute blast sure beats driving on pavement but could not do them in stock form. Plus I can bring the whole family a bunch of gear and a couple friends.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bc you put that huge spacer on top changing the original angle of that suspension

The angle does not change with spacer added it just elongates the distance from the top hat to the center of hub. The center of the hub in stock form is centered to the wheel well. The rear coil over is not straight up and down but slightly angled so adding the spacer pushes the hub slightly closer to the front fender well add larger tires even less room to the fender well.
If the coil over were straight up and down and you added a spacer the wheel would not be any closer to the fender well.

I have a light colored truck and 33s and my wheel does not pushed look forward at all.
Step up to 35s one looks pushed forward couple that to a dark colored vehicle and it appears even more so.
Not sure exactly why dark colored vehicles the forward push is more pronounced but it is almost a sort of optical illusion.

The front coil overs are straight up and down which is why you do not get this effect when adding front spacers.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear coil over is not straight up and down but slightly angled so adding the spacer pushes the hub slightly closer to the front fender well.

So if they are angled and you add the spacer and it pushes that hub, you have changed the angle of that suspension component. So yes when I say it changes the angle, it does. Also, you don’t get that effect up front however, the wheels actually get pulled into the wheel well more. Anything you put on here, spacer wise, changes the angle. It’s math

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yall are both wrong. while 16 is technically correct, you changed the angles....... but the trailing arms is what does it. it is the only linkage on a plane perpendicular to normal up and down travel that would cause forward or backwards motion. the more you lift it, the more they are coming frontwards.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So if they are angled and you add the spacer and it pushes that hub, you have changed the angle of that suspension component. So yes when I say it changes the angle, it does. Also, you don’t get that effect up front however, the wheels actually get pulled into the wheel well more. Anything you put on here, spacer wise, changes the angle. It’s math

The angle of the strut assemble itself has not changed the overall linear dimension has increased but the angle the strut assembly is installed at has stayed the same.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why does a lift on IRS pull the rear wheels forward?

Its doesn't. The rear wheels are not centered in the wheel-well at factory height either....they are offset to the front. Put a larger diameter tire in there and the gap shrinks even more....exaggerating the look.

slowstanger

Reaction score
For those of you who have the wrench light after using ForScan, all you have to do is go to PCM and relearn vehicle data and do the same with the TCM, this fixed it for me after I lifted mine. I used the ForScan spreadsheet to figure out the correct data to change and hit it the first time.
upload_2019-11-17_9-54-54.jpeg