Sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tracy Paolillo

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Expedition. It used to sputter some times at about 1500 to 2000 rpm. Now it seems to be doing it much more often. It has 158000 miles Oil was recently changed. Does not throw a code. Any ideas? I see a some post that say COP ....I don't know what that is. I do the research since I have the time and my husband does the work. Thank you

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have record of or know when it was last tuned up? If not I’d replace the spark plugs and see if a difference is made. A COP will likely throw a code if it fails however if it is intermittent it may not. No check engine light?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tracy Paolillo

Reaction score
It does not have a code. I am unsure when the plugs where changed last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does not have a code.
Hi Tracy. Was it scanned by a scan tool, or does it just lack Check Engine lights? You may be well aware of this, but the truck's computer can store codes even without warning indicators being present.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you hold the throttle long enough at the missing point the computer will store a code. As far as a bad coil on top of plug, they usually only fail if they get wet, like some clean nuts deside to blast the motor at a car wash, or if you've had a leaking hose near one of the coils. A spark plug that's misfiring, or a clogged injector is more likely. Try and store the code by making the misfire for awhile. It narrows 8 cylinders down to 1 or 2. Much easier to diagnose that way. One last thing spray out the throttle body, and Maf sensor with the proper sprays from parts store or Ford dealer.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357