Stalls when AC turned on, after loud noise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, for sure. I now turn my attention to my Escape, the AC condenser of which has failed. This is covered in another thread somewhere here. I have the parts I need except for possibly some seals or gaskets. I have to concentrate and determine what I need now so I can tackle it in the morning. :|

Gregg Eshelman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there's debris from the compressor into the system, it's very likely the condenser will have to be replaced. If it's the "microtube" style where the tubes are thin like a engine radiator there's no flushing it out. The thin tubes are extruded with several square channels to increase surface area for heat transfer from the refrigerant. That also makes it easy for debris of the right size to become permanently lodged in them.

A shop can try backflushing a microtube condenser but if it can't flow the full amount it should then it's partly clogged and not usable. Orifice tube(s) and other parts with small passages should also be replaced along with a good long flushing of everything not being replaced. Finish it off with a filter installed on the suction side of the compressor and the inlet side of the condenser, just in case of some debris that wasn't removed. Some systems have filters as original equipment to catch any debris leftover from manufacturing and assembly. Replacing those should be good enough, otherwise hoses need modified to install filters.

Spend the $ now to ensure it's not going to fail soon, or risk having to spend more later.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Above is why you need to shut the ac off at any sign of a compressor failure which goes for many potential failures.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's been raining on/off the last two days and my in-laws' farm shop has been full of equipment so today is the first day I'll get a chance to look at it.

Can I get it evacuated even if I'm not ready to do the rest of the work? (Shop might be able to do it today but I can't get parts immediately).

Advance/Carquest has the compressor at 350-400! I'll check RockAuto.

Will I need to replace the expansion valve?
What is the desiccant cartridge? (see pic)

Since I have a front/rear system, I fear the level of complexity is beyond what I need to tackle.

Do I need to flush the lines if the compressor blew? Isn't there a chance that 'shrapnel' has gotten in my lines?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for your time!

Meanwhile, I still have my Escape to tackle. We've had such a cool spring and I've had a busy spring for work, that I haven't tackled it yet. (damaged condenser). This might be easier... it's just that my Exped is the main family vehicle. Good thing they aren't driving much right now.

View attachment 36334

Sorry I haven’t been on here since Friday. Anyway you’ll want to flush the system out yes, have it flushed and replace the filter drier/compressor. My dad does HVAC so he flushed it for me etc. he also took care of the charging I just did all the hard parts swapping. I suppose you could do the hard parts then have a shop dial in the charge. It’s also possible your clutch locked up and there is no debris at all....you will know once you drop out the filter drier because that’s what catches particles. If the compressor blew you’ll see little metal fragments in the sock or the screen material. In mine the clutch locked up (belt started screaming and compressor would not spin). Turned out the compressor was fine but the clutch went out....but we just replaced everything anyway and found out after the fact.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised the truck is stalling, the compressor even completely locked up doesn’t offer much to fight against a V8 spinning away. Mine just shredded the belt, the engine didn’t waiver at all...computer brought the idle up to fight the resistance and kaboom went the belt.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m surprised the truck is stalling, the compressor even completely locked up doesn’t offer much to fight against a V8 spinning away. Mine just shredded the belt, the engine didn’t waiver at all...computer brought the idle up to fight the resistance and kaboom went the belt.

I hear you on that. I started it later that night and it ran fine, AC switch on or not.

OP
OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help here. I believe I should have done this one myself but I already had to do my Escape which was a little more urgent bc my two daughters were going on a trip. (I replaced the condenser and accumulator and the AC is frigid!).

The end result is an expensive dealer repair on the Expy resulting in a hot vehicle that won't cool. It's still in the shop but this time we for a nice loaner. It's all warrantied so no worries. Just a water of a whole work day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk