Starter grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the stater but maybe the ignition switch behind the key lock or the ignition key lock itself is worn.

Mine does it with either remote start or with the key. Definitely starter or ring gear.

BHtut

Reaction score
You are right lbv150. It's been happening to my '03. My guess was the ignition switch but I was wrong. Does anyone know how to replace a starter? Videos, pictures with instructions would really help. Thank you!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The starters are the same on these vehicles, with the exception of a bolt on the front side, that needs to be removed with a long e extension and swivel. Another fun Ford better idea!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right lbv150. It's been happening to my '03. My guess was the ignition switch but I was wrong. Does anyone know how to replace a starter? Videos, pictures with instructions would really help. Thank you!

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace starter and ring gear at the same time. Mine went 2 years ago. If it grinds there both bad. I recommend a new starter not a rebuilt one. I got this one from rock auto. Verry happy with it for the price. Get a oem flex plate and new bolts.

C259B27B-9503-430D-927F-0585FC70861A.png

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those that haven't noticed, the OP is a one post wonder. Makes the initial post and we wonder where he went......

OP
OP
J

JShipps

Reaction score
No reason to wonder, I'm still here and have read every reply. I had to think for awhile what OP meant. I'm guessing it means Original Poster? Also, I'm not a mechanic. All I was really looking for was whether I need to panic or not about my starter. I've got other issues with my Expy too. Like the incessant ticking. I've learned from this forum that it's something called the cam phaser, most likely. I wish I could fix these things myself, but I can't. So, I come here to learn about what the issues may be so I don't sound like a complete moron when talking to whatever mechanic I take it to. I also like to know if the mechanic I take my ride to knows anything about what I'm talking about. If they have a blank look on their face, I know to run away.

So, I apologize if I wasn't as interactive and responsive as you typically like to see. But, the convo was getting far over my head.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you came back. Usually you would get a reply within a few minutes of posting.

We have quite a few posts where the solution is offered, the member fixes the problem and disappears without an update.

As an instructor I tell the students to speak up if I say things they don't understand. You came here to learn, most of us are willing to teach. So what is over your head?

And where are you at with your issue?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stick around, you'll be giving advice soon. Most of our little forum members aren't mechanics by trade, but know more than most Ford mechanics.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
I have a 2006 that I have owned for 6 years now. It has 154,000 miles on it. I have had this same issue for going on two years now and have replaced:

5 starters
1 flexplate
&
1 ignition switch assembly

First starter was replaced then two months later needed a second starter. I think this one wasn't put in correctly because 6 months later it literally came unbolted and was hanging off the truck while it was running sitting in a parking lot. So put in number 3 and decided the flexplate needed to be replaced to stop the drama. Did that and 6 months later barked at me again. 3rd starter was determined bad by a separate shop that switched it out and put in starter number 4. You guessed it a few months later it did it again. They determined it was the ignition switch burning up the starters and switched it out. After a few months it did it again. They said that the starter that was on it when they switched out the ignition switch may have gone bad already before the switch, so that makes number 5. Now it is two years later since it all started and it still does it about every other day. Sometimes you can hear it plain out slipping, other times it starts to grab then fails, that jerks the engine and sounds terrible. It almost always cranks after the first time failing and it always cranks eventually. I am just waiting for something major to fail and doing as much maintenance as I can to keep it running.