Starter grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JShipps

Reaction score
Hi All, long time follower, first time poster. My 06 Expy has been doing this ever since I got it used in 08. Every once in awhile, I’ll turn the key to start it up and instead of doing the normal start-up, it’ll make that loud screeching/grinding sound cars make when you turn the key after they’re already started. I immediately stop turning the key and try again and most times it starts right up like normal. However, it seems to be doing this a little more often now. Any ideas on what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to posting on the site.

Pull the starter and check the teeth on the drive gear of the starter. If none are broken, turn the crank over with a socket and breaker bar on the harmonic balancer and inspect the teeth on the ring gear.

If you are lucky it will be the starter gear.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have same issue on my 2000 5.4 I installed a Ford reman starter about 1 1/2 years back, so I'm pretty sure its my flywheel. Like stamp stated pull your starter, if your lucky its worn teeth there. But not sounding like scrooge, its more likely the ring gear making a bad tooth contact every 7-10 startups you might be able to dress the damaged flywheel teeth, with a file. that will buy you some time for now. You'll need either a flywheel Turner, or have an assistant crank pulley with a socket.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

03 exp

Reaction score
replace the starter as soon as possible, hope it didn't damage the flywheel.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the ring gear has broken teeth on it and you choose to replace the starter as mentioned above, what is going to keep the new starter gear from being damaged when the teeth don't mesh correctly?

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nothing, but every use of the starter motor that results in gear grinding does something/not good to the ring gear

it could very well be (or was) due to a starter motor issue to begin with,

it's not something you take any chances with particularly when the starter is so easy to deal with, in comparison to pulling a tranny,

any grinding on starts is the time to pull the starter pronto first,

op indicates the issue has gone on for some time, known since 08

fix the easy possible issue prob right away, cos any further grinding risks another part that is big dough to fix

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But just changing a starter without inspecting, and repairing/ replacing ring gear, is just a recipe for failure. Think of it this way, you could replace worn brake pads, but if the rotors are scored badly due to the old pads wearing metal to metal, the new pads are going to be chewed up and grooved, in no time. Our job here is to school our members in the proper and long term repair of their vehicles. If just getting you home, or till next payday, theirs always a quick way. We're trying to help him fix it once!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

BHtut

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the stater but maybe the ignition switch behind the key lock or the ignition key lock itself is worn.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire