Steering vibation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dannyboy11222

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue with steering vibration above 75 mph...I've owned 2 expy and both had the same issue, my first was a 2014 expedition and my current 2011 exp... And both have this issue, as soon as I hit 75mph I get this... on the 2014 model I even tried road forced balancing but that still didn't solve the high speed vibration...if anyone has any advice, I could use some help... As I drive on the PA turnpike and the speed
Limit is 70 mph...
Ty

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dannyboy11222

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah! Its just annoying, at least we know when we are over without having to look at dash lol....
I'd still like to know what's causing this to happen and why.....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014EL is smooth as silk, which probably doesn't help much. Is your alignment setup perfectly? Brakes in brand new condition? Good tires balanced well? Do tires wear evenly? My tires wear so evenly I don't think I even need to rotate them, do anyway.

Oh I see you said road force balanced. I never heard of that but I googled it. Cool!

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be that patch of road as well. My 17 is smooth all the way up to 90 unless the road is lousy, then I wouldn't be going that fast anyway. There is a patch of concrete highway I frequent that is like driving on rumble strips even though it appears new and smooth. Doesn't matter what vehicle, they all rumble like a slipping torque converter or bent wheel, but just this certain area of the highway.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I regularly do 80-85 and every now and then might do brief periods of 90+. I've never had any vibration. Alignment, wheel bearing, and the tires themselves (some tires vibrate at high speeds) would be my top guesses.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Balance, balance, balance. Most tire balance machines are not calibrated on an annual basis. They need to be. If you pull the power plug, or move the machine, or bang the head, it gets off balance. Same goes for alignment heads. You need to find a shop that has a new machine, or one that's been calibrated recently. Oh and by the way, alignment has nothing to do with tire shaking. It will cause a pull left/right, or a drifting feeling, but not wheel shake. The last possibility is you could have crappy tires, and a belt is shifting. Try rotating, and see if better, or worse. Worn front end parts like tie rods, ball joints, etc, will start the shaking party around 35-45 mph, not at 80 and above. Have a different shop check the existing tire balance before removing weights, and again find a shop that has spot on equipment.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

AC Molina

Reaction score
Have a similar issue, feels like my passenger front tire shakes between 55-75 mph, have had 2 shops do a tire balance and wheel alignment. Heard from a friend that it could also be the brake fluid no cleaned. Does that sound reasonable?

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a similar issue, feels like my passenger front tire shakes between 55-75 mph, have had 2 shops do a tire balance and wheel alignment. Heard from a friend that it could also be the brake fluid no cleaned. Does that sound reasonable?

It’s your tires.

There’s a ‘hack’ i learned if you have had the same shop do the rebalancing and it still vibrates. Trust me...I learned this after a very frustrating process. When I asked them to do this trick...it’s now smooth as glass.

Have them balance the tire and zero it out. Then...tell them to take the tire off the machine, turn it any distance short of a full turn, then put it back on the machine and check the balance again.

You’d be shocked how often the tire that just zero’ed out can be put back on the same machine and it won’t zero out the second time.

So...if it doesn’t zero out the second time...have them repeat the process (balancing it, taking it off, turning it, putting back on, checking the balance, rebalancing again if it didn’t zero out).

You’ll know it’s finally balanced when you can take it off the machine, turn it, put it back on the machine, and it zeros out a second time.

I know it sounds crazy. I went to 3 different tire shops and each time the tires would still end up vibrating at a different speed. When I had them do this trick...smooth sailing.

It’s too bad so many shops either don’t train their people correctly or they abuse their machines.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk