Steering Wheel Heat - Forscan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, Houston has gotten chilly with all the rain that come through the past week.
My wife commented that the steering wheel in my Explorer (2020 Limited) gets much warmer than the one in her Expy (2018 Max Limited)

Does the Forscan adjustment make a noticeable change in the felt temp on the wheel?

My Explorer, I usually get about 2 miles from the house & turn it off. Hers definitely isn't nearly as warm. Want to say I recall this coming up a lot when I had my F150 (16 XLT SCrew Sport), but it didn't have a heated wheel, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it then.

BrianDA

Reaction score
My wife's F-150 sounds like your explorer. I turn it off within about 5 minutes because it gets too hot! If I remember, the F-150 did have a setting for heat, probably in the Body Control Module, but my wife did not want me to turn it down!! As far as the Expy goes, I love that it's not so hot. I can leave it on much longer!

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the adjustment in forscan will make a difference. I increased the heat output by about 4 degrees, it’s cooler to the touch then my wife’s edge but warmer than it was from the factory.

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try to look at it tomorrow if the wife takes the Exploder to work.

Infra246

Reaction score
I have always noticed the expy seats and steering wheel are simply not hot. The seats even back to 2007 I have owned 7, they were always noticeably cooler than other vehicles I owned. I leave them on the highest setting and the only time I notice they really heat up is if you turn them off and back on or similarly shut the truck off and restart it. Other than that they are mostly luke warm, where as my wife's Explorer is hot right away and you have to turn them down. Not sure why the Expedition seats don't get hot? On cold days it is very noticeable, I usually have them on year round because I find it soothes my back pain.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always noticed the expy seats and steering wheel are simply not hot. The seats even back to 2007 I have owned 7, they were always noticeably cooler than other vehicles I owned. I leave them on the highest setting and the only time I notice they really heat up is if you turn them off and back on or similarly shut the truck off and restart it. Other than that they are mostly luke warm, where as my wife's Explorer is hot right away and you have to turn them down. Not sure why the Expedition seats don't get hot? On cold days it is very noticeable, I usually have them on year round because I find it soothes my back pain.

Solas19, Ill break with you on the seats. I find they are quite hot - that here in north/central Illinois, where it gets really cold. After a couple of minutes I tend to turn it down to 1/3 setting. I fully agree with the steering wheel not being as hot as many other vehicles - at least the heat distribution is even

OP
OP
JAMADOR

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't drive the Expy enough in the cold to comment on the seat heat, but definitely can tell that the wheel is much less warm than my Explorer.
Figured partly due to the Expy being 2 years older, and recalling similar complaints on the 15+ F150.
Home today, so I'm planning on some more Forscan today (double honk, wheel heat, maybe video in motion, but I Remember that changing the signs to the round Euro style on my F150)

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I adjusted mine as well, works great! All of the warnings out there say it can reduce the life of the heating element, but i figure at most I use mine half the year and I have my Ford service plan on it.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
My 19 Expedition steering isn’t hot but it is comfortable to keep on almost all winter and it’s warm enough. I’ll check what temp it’s at currently. For some reason 88F is what I think was default when I upgraded my F150 with the harness and wheel. I’m thinking 90 might be just a bit more but not uncomfortable.

As far as seats, setting 3 is almost too hot for long periods of time. I may use it for a few minutes and then kick it down to 1 or 2. My 18 F150 on the other hand couldn’t get hot enough on the highest setting. Could be a setting could just be not as efficient heating elements.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni