Steering wheel loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a 03 experience Eddie Bauer. My steering wheel is loose I can move it up and down. Is there a bolt I should look for to tighten it?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah remove the horn button cover, remove the air bag and you'll see a bolt. Very odd for it to become loose though.

1. Remove the two steering wheel back cover plugs (one shown).

1. Remove the two driver air bag module bolts (one shown).
Expedition vehicles

1. Remove the driver air bag module.
1Release the two retaining tabs. Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
  • Label the driver air bag module squib number on the driver air bag module electrical connector before disconnecting.
2Release the two retaining tabs. Disconnect the driver air bag module electrical connector.
  • Label the driver air bag module squib number on the driver air bag module electrical connector before disconnecting.
3Disconnect the horn switch electrical connector.
4Remove the driver air bag module.

Gilles Boudreau

Reaction score
Do you remove the steering wheel to find these bolts? I dealt with this problem for years and multiple steeing colums. I have never seen bolts to adjust a loose sterring wheel. We are talking in and out about 1/8 inch play? I ended up putting a spacer betwen column clip and bearing on mine. I would like to know where these bolts are to fix it correctly

texasscot

Reaction score
Do you remove the steering wheel to find these bolts? I dealt with this problem for years and multiple steeing colums. I have never seen bolts to adjust a loose sterring wheel. We are talking in and out about 1/8 inch play? I ended up putting a spacer betwen column clip and bearing on mine. I would like to know where these bolts are to fix it correctly
I now have the same clonky noise in the steering wheel hub. In another of my cars I’ve replaced a sleeve that gets worn at the top of the column.
I’ve been trying to find something similar for my 2003 expedition but not had any luck. Can’t seem to match the year model. There’s availability for the previous year, which would be gen 1, but not mine.
If anyone else has experience of this and a fix I’d be happy to hear about it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only thing I've been able to do is take a large hammer and punch and smack the shaft back down into the carrier . The column seems to get pulled out from people pulling themselves up into the vehicle by the steering wheel rather than the grab handle. Over the years it eventually works it's way out and becomes loose.

texasscot

Reaction score
Only thing I've been able to do is take a large hammer and punch and smack the shaft back down into the carrier . The column seems to get pulled out from people pulling themselves up into the vehicle by the steering wheel rather than the grab handle. Over the years it eventually works it's way out and becomes loose.

Very interesting, thanks. I’ll chcek it out. I was just in there the other day to clean my cruise button contacts. A great success by the way, but getting those Torx screws lined up so they go into their homes was tough. If you don’t get it right the angled screw head prevents a button being actuated. I know this because…