Light or loose steering after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ak49

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced loose steering after installing a lift or level? Ever since I had the ReadyLift installed, my steering seems too light and requires a bit more attention while going down the highway than I remember. I've done some googling and others attribute it to a reduction in caster. I'm curious if other expedition owners have noticed this after a lift install and how they solved it. Would it require new control arms or is there some adjustment that can be made using factory parts?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but your destroyed the geometry of the entire suspension that Ford spent endless hours designing and now you are surprised that there is negative affects????? Not trying to be an ass, but that lift is just for looks, not intended to make it drive well. I'm sure others love their lift, and that's great, but its not intended to make it drive well.

OP
OP
ak49

ak49

Reaction score
I'm not surprised things changed and am well aware that spacer lifts only add height. I fully expected some compromise. I am reaching out the community to see if others have encountered the same issue and what they did to minimize or resolve it. There must be ways of obtaining factory-like steering characteristics while maintaining the added height. Obviously, there will be added body roll which is fine. I'm strictly trying to minimize the increased steering adjustments necessary when traveling at highway speeds.

I'll probably head back to the alignment shop and see what they say. Maybe it requires a different lift with additional components that my current budget won't accommodate. I'm just trying to gather information.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its very possible that your lift has pushed you our of the adjustment range of your factory suspension geometry adjustments. Ask your alignment shop when they try to re-allign it.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lifting a vehicle will specifically affect toe and camber, depending on the vehicle. Creating toe-out can easily cause the spooky steering characteristics you mentioned. Changing geometry in any way requires an immediate re-alignment. As others have mentioned, too much lift may cause enough change that it can no longer be brought back to spec. BTW, spacer lifts do not "only" add height. They change alignment geometry away from factory spec every time.

Dan Johnson

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced loose steering after installing a lift or level? Ever since I had the ReadyLift installed, my steering seems too light and requires a bit more attention while going down the highway than I remember. I've done some googling and others attribute it to a reduction in caster. I'm curious if other expedition owners have noticed this after a lift install and how they solved it. Would it require new control arms or is there some adjustment that can be made using factory parts?
Sorry that a few folks hammered on you for just asking an honest question!
I have the 3/2 Readylift on my 2020 Max with 315 70R17’s…have had that setup for about 2 years. LOVE the look but it is definitely not as tight in steering and has more of a top-heavy roll than some folks might like. It rides like you would expect a lifted truck to ride (and I’ve had several over the years)…but I would be open to some type of improvement…just haven’t come across anything yet.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Upgraded sway bars from Hellwig and good control arms with more caster built in would be two parts you can change to get a better driving experience.

BrianA

Reaction score
Been there done that on my f150. Totally ruined my front end feel with only a 2" spacer and talk about fun trying to get my coil back in. The best way is with a diff drop and everything else associated.

OP
OP
ak49

ak49

Reaction score
I took the truck back to the alignment shop just over a week ago and they were able to give it a bit more caster. It made a huge difference and feels like what I remember it feeling like when it was stock. I'm much happier now.