Steering Wheel Play/Slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PJ Hintson

Reaction score
Alright guys, new to the forum and really hoping one of you can help me.
I have a 2007 Ford Expedition 2WD. It now has 185k on it. Lately I have been noticing some steering wheel play. When the wheels are straight, I can turn the wheel about 1/2” both ways before I feel any resistance. I can just sit there and bounce the steering wheel back and forth before it has any resistance at all. And at 70 mph, it is really noticeable. It feels almost as It takes a second to turn before the steering wheel catches it.
I have replaced the Inner and Outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, lower ball joints, struts all the way around, new wheel hubs on driver and passenger front, a reman rack and pinion, and a new intermediate steering shaft, and just had an alignment done yesterday. The guy that did it said, “the slack is almost normal, you’ll just have to get used to it since that comes with driving the beast.” However, it’s truly bothering me, and I do not know what else it could be. I have gone through basically everything in the steering to fix it. Is there something I am missing? Please, anyone that can help.

I also know that my drivers rear wheel hub has a little pay in it, and needs to be replaced. But that would only make it pull every now and then, not really cause slack in the steering.

After trial and error, I’ve noticed that the slack seems to be in the input shaft on the rack and pinion. The lower shaft is solid, but I’ve noticed the play is mostly in the input shaft on the rack. Again, I just put in a reman A1-Cardone rack, but could it be bad? Or is this normal? It’s driving me nuts!

Note:All parts came from RockAuto. They have some great prices that are hard to beat.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Backlash in the steering column itself? Its the only thing you haven't replaced. If you feel like you don't have control while driving, continue to pursue it. If the truck responds well to steering inputs while moving, I'd leave it be.

OP
OP
PJ Hintson

PJ Hintson

Reaction score
See, I thought it was the steering column. But I can pop the hood, and watch the steering shaft as I move the steering wheel. It’s solid, moves just as the steering wheel does. All I could determine was the slack was at the input shaft. Just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not a lot to make you swerve all over the road, but it’s enough to cause the expedition to swerve a little at 70MPH.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your truck did not have the slack in the steering, and it developed - then you have a defect somewhere.

Based upon your post information, I suspect that the problem lies in the remanufactured steering rack.

Slack in the steering wheel movement is not normal, as your mechannic implied.

Perhaps others that have had the same problem repaired will chime-in.

OP
OP
PJ Hintson

PJ Hintson

Reaction score
I suspect that the problem may still be in the rack and pinion as well. I just put the reman rack in yesterday, and still have the slack. It would be my luck.

Is it possible a bad power steering pump could cause this problem? As if the pump is not putting out enough pressure on the rack the keep it tight? I have not replaced any power steering lines or the pump.
Just a thought.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power steering assist does not take-up any slack and keep the rack tight - it provides hydraulic assist (or electric motor power) to easy movement of the rack.

Think of it this way - if your steering system is “tight” and has hydraulic power steering: While driving, the engine stalls. The steering does not develop slack - it just becomes more difficult to steer without the assist.

Are you sure the rack is securely fastened to the crossmember? If a helper moves the steering wheel while you observe the steering rack, does the rack move left or right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PJ Hintson

PJ Hintson

Reaction score
That’s right, I knew it was just an assist, just didn’t know If it could be the problem.

The rack is bolted tight. Had an alignment done today, just to make sure. He tried to shake and move the rack but it didn’t budge. It’s all tight. He too said it could possibly be a faulty reman rack.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You mentioned the play seems to be at the rack input shaft. How is the ISS fastened to the input shaft? Is a clamp and non-reusable pinch bolt used? Is it possible the clamp and bolt are not tight enough?

OP
OP
PJ Hintson

PJ Hintson

Reaction score
After tearing apart basically the entire steering system, doing a warranty exchange on the rack, and jiggling just about everything I could, I found that the intermediate steering shaft I installed, was crap. The brand is Perfect fit, it’s the only brand that really makes the intermediate shaft besides spending the 235$ on a new OEM ford shaft. I still had my old one, which took care of most of the slack. It’s back to the original driving condition, which is much better than when I put in the crap shaft. Now I’ll have to invest in an OEM one to get rid of the rest. Thank you for your help!

Now I have to tackle the exhaust. I installed new catalytic converter’s, OEM. I had an exhaust shop do the weld between the left and right side converters, but it sounds like I have a exhaust leak. When I start it up, or rev the engine, you can definitely hear it, almost as if there is no mufflers on the driver side. I think, I need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, and the manifold pipe gasket. Any thoughts or tips?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After tearing apart basically the entire steering system, doing a warranty exchange on the rack, and jiggling just about everything I could, I found that the intermediate steering shaft I installed, was crap. The brand is Perfect fit, it’s the only brand that really makes the intermediate shaft besides spending the 235$ on a new OEM ford shaft. I still had my old one, which took care of most of the slack. It’s back to the original driving condition, which is much better than when I put in the crap shaft. Now I’ll have to invest in an OEM one to get rid of the rest. Thank you for your help!

Now I have to tackle the exhaust. I installed new catalytic converter’s, OEM. I had an exhaust shop do the weld between the left and right side converters, but it sounds like I have a exhaust leak. When I start it up, or rev the engine, you can definitely hear it, almost as if there is no mufflers on the driver side. I think, I need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, and the manifold pipe gasket. Any thoughts or tips?

Blow smoke or vape at potential leak points and see?