Steering wont return to center? Interesting issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, my 98 EB 4x4 5.4 w/ 166k (No AIR RIDE) has this weird... issue that I just discovered.

My steering doesn't want to return to center. Normally when you cut the wheel and do a hard circle, the steering wants to counter steer back to center position, because thats just how the forward momentum and velocity of steering works.. mine, doesn't return. It kind of sticks.

My pump is fine, nothing other than standard ford groaning and its full, no leaks.

Other times, it returns fine but those times are getting less and less. Even at highway speeds when the steering is most sensitive, the wheel feels very stiff. All my tires are pressured correctly too, so lets rule that out. I have seen people say it is the intermediate shaft? They say the u-joint on it gets sticky.

There a walk through around here for the intermediate shaft? Also, I am open to other thoughts.

Here is my polished turd. Ignore the body damage. DONOR TRUCK COMING SOON! :flamingdevil:

11049442_10204135820656645_5986664183432538293_n.jpg

OP
OP
98RedExp

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its still responsive and tight so to speak its just not that normal super smooth power steering smoothness. it stead of being able to move it with one finger, I need to get a decent grip on it to move it. Feels much stiffer, if that helps. It doesnt feel like there is play.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '06 was/is doing this also. As the weather is warming up, it's getting better. At times it doesn't want to leave center while going straight, and then if I slightly jerk the wheel to get past that point, it loosens up a bit. On slower turns, it doesn't want to return to center either. I changed the fluid to no avail, and was waiting for the weather to warm up to get under it to check all linkages and tie rod ends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
98RedExp

98RedExp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first start up, steering is normal and nimble, once things warm up, the stiffness returns.