Stereo Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

In my 98 EB Expedition, I have a 6 disc OEM changer in the center console. My stereo has two plugs in the back....an 8 pin and a 16 pin. What are they for? From what I have gathered, the 8 pin powers the unit, and I assume the changer. Whereas the 16 pin goes to the speakers. Is this correct?

OP
OP
G

The 16 Pin harness is the power and speakers, the 8 is for the rear controls. I have an extra 16 pin harness if you need it.

OP
OP
G

I can't log on, my log on is BikeRider, email me at saris23 at peoplepc dot com if you need the 16 pin harness.

OP
OP
G

Thanks for the offer. I don't need it. I'm buying an adapter that will allow me to keep my OEM changer and add in an RCA input, and I just didn't know what the two different harnesses were used for.

If you know a thing or two about wiring them, though, I do have a question that I raised in another thread about adding a DC plug that will turn on and off with my car. One option I've heard is wiring it directly to the power wire of the stereo, but I don't have the foggiest how to do it.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'd need to figure out which wire on the radio is the one that turns on with the ignition. This can be done with a test light or multimeter. Once you figure that out, you can tap it with a 3M Scotch Lock so you don't have to cut the wires. Ground the other wire to the metal supports in the console, and there you go. If you don't know how to use a test light or multimeter, I suggest you let a car audio place install it.

OP
OP
G

Johnny,
Where did you get the RCA input cable from? This is exactly what I need for my XM satellite radio.

Thomas

OP
OP
G

no cddj

Originally posted by Unregistered
I can't log on, my log on is BikeRider, email me at saris23 at peoplepc dot com if you need the 16 pin harness.

Do you know what "NO CDDJ" means on the HU display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1