2014 Expedition XL Fleet - Aftermarket Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polar Bear

Reaction score
Hello, somewhat new expedition owner here. I have a 2014 Expedition EL with the XL Fleet trim and I am in the process of swapping out the stock head unit for a double din sony. I recognize that this was the most basic trim level and received none of the sync options, just an AM/FM radio with a cd player.

I have seen a lot of harnesses that are more involved (idatalink maestro) and allow functionality to steering wheel controls and other features, but this vehicle didn't have those options. I have ordered an aftermarket Metra harness to wire into the sony harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WTF34?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Some of the pins from this harness don't match up exactly with my vehicle's harness, but I am guessing that is to be expected when ordering something that's somewhat universal?

I have been researching and looking through the forum, but I cannot figure out what to do with the wires feeding the 16 pin connector. I only have two wires feeding the connector, MS CAN + (gray/orange) and MS CAN - (Violet/orange). I am assuming I cant just omit these wires because they are hooked up to the stock head unit, but I am unsure how to wire them into the new head unit or connect elsewhere for functionality.

Any advice on how to proceed?