Strut replacement recoomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsdsm

Reaction score
New to this Expy Forum site. Looking to replace struts on my 2008 Expy XL Limited with 150,000 miles. What's the consensus out there on what kind of struts to replace with. Not looking for adjustable (i.e. Ranchos).

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with Bilsteins for the front. I'm happy and eventually I'll do the rears.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
jsdsm

jsdsm

Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus from other feedback I have seen. Think I'm going in that direction! Thanks for the your feedback 01yellerCobra!

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem. I wish the shocks/struts for my Cobra were as cheap as they are for the Expedition.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

AskMeLater

Reaction score
After researching, I decided to install Bilsteins last week on my newer-to-me 2003 4x4.

Bilstein p/n 24-131582 (front, 4x4)
Bilstein p/n 24-131599 (rear, all)

I am currently about 1/2 way through a 3000+ mile road trip, and I have to say I am totally satisfied with the shocks. The ride is firm yet smooth, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Purchased from TAPautoparts.com They are a sponsor over on f150forum.com They beat the best price that I could find online. All four shocks for about $361 shipped.

eighty8

Reaction score
I just replaced the struts on my 128,*** on my 04 4x4 non-air ride with Bilsteins at all four corners. Couldn't be happier.

mkc1962

Reaction score
I recently did all 4 of mine with the Monroe quick struts. Great ride. Tows about the same as the OEM air, but does squat a small amount. Lifetime warranty.

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you replace the struts, do you put the old coil springs on the new strut, or do you get new springs too?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you replace the struts, do you put the old coil springs on the new strut, or do you get new springs too?
That's up to you. I swapped the old springs onto the new shocks. I didn't want to lift or lower the truck and it saved me a lot of money going that route.

xtamer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I have a spacer lift. I probably should have change the shocks when I get that installed but it wasn't in the budget. the coil spring couldnt wear out right? Just replace the strut to improve ride quality.