Stupid deer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IIGood

Reaction score
Had my second encounter ever with a deer yesterday, which will put my Expedition out of commission temporarily while getting repaired. It appears to be all cosmetic fortunately, but never know if anything underneath is messed up. It all feels fine, still drives okay, and all persons in the vehicle were uninjured. I probably hit the deer at 30 mph; I did see it running alongside the road and it just took a sharp left into the road right in front of me.

The first incident was in my first (of 2) Explorers. It was a 2003 and I hit that deer at 50 mph...didn't see that one until it was already in my grille and it ended up being totaled.

I've only had this Expedition for 3 1/2 months. Stupid deer.

20200229_144503.jpg

OP
OP
I

IIGood

Reaction score
Well, the deer survived. At impact, it kinda just tumbled a little ways up the road, then was scrambling to get back on it's feet, and then it ran off. So wasn't a complete kill. LOL.

I had the Expedition back within about 2 weeks, fully repaired, and looking good as new.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i hit a deer a few years ago in an F150. i had a grill guard on it and to my amazement, my truck had no damage at all, and the grill guard was bent in about an inch. I never would have believed the damn thing would provide that much protection if I hadn't seen it.

Port Tack

Reaction score
Glad everyone's OK.
Did you kill it? Do you get to keep the meat in Maryland? Just looking a positive angle. Not a bad time to have a freezer full of meet...
The meat is usually spoiled with roadkill. Bruised beyond use.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it kills the animal outright and there's no lacerations, almost always the meat is good, provided the temps stay low.

A gunshot damages more meat than blunt force trauma over half the body.

Over the years, I've hit several deer, probably 5 or 6, took every one of them home and saved most of the meat. Here, all we have to do is call it in, get a conservation agent's permission. Obviously in the summer time you likely wouldn't want to hassle with it....cold weather however, may as well. Gut it out and put some fresh cold water on it ASAP though, or else the meat will be a lot stronger in taste...that "game" taste. Most people know how to take care of that though. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni