sub mounting direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys, i finally decided to throw an amp and subs into the expy. what direction have you all found to point them that sounds best? back, up, angled, downfire? im going to build a box this weekend and just looking for a cheat on the best direction without the trial and error. i bought 2 12" polks and a boss amp. they call for .88 cubic feet and a sealed box. thanks, dan

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've had 12's facing back...angled pointed to rear...downfired...all sounded the same to me...my 18" is pointed up and vent is on the bottom to the rear...i like this best...i've played with it and this is the best sound i like for it...

i like downfiring box to allow me to continue to put stuff on stop of it

OP
OP
dcarr

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The downfire thought for putting stuff on it was what I was thinking. How much space is under the box? Also are the subs screwed in from the outside of the box or mounted from the inside? Just thinking its a lot of weight constantly pushing on the screws.

eddiemoney

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Downfacing I would suggest a double ring face with bolts/ t nuts to keep it happy :)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my box may have 2.5" or 3" legs on it...the subs screwed in from the outside like any other box and havent had any probs with it...and i had them since 2007 i'll take pics tonight and post

heardj

Reaction score
If you want to achieve the loudest sound, subs back and port back.

OP
OP
dcarr

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The subs say sealed @ .88 cubic feet so ill prob do that. Just a toss up between facing back or the downfire. Im a firefighter so I carry a bunch of stuff in the back and the protection of the downfire is a plus.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mines on the driver side. facing passenger with port in same direction. custom box. 2cbft. its a good size box. haha but down fire is your best bet. you can throw stuff on it and no worrys. and even better is to add a little bit of cross support inside the box to brace it so you can really throw stuff on it and have no worrys.