Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmfoogamer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been lurking for a few years, but finally ran into something I cannot figure out. For background, I've always done all my own work and generally have been able to fix any issues that have come my way through trial and error and using forums such as these along with a lot of youtube. I've had my expedition for about 5 years now. It's the 2008 EL Eddie Bauer - V8 5.4L 3 valve expedition. About 3 years ago I replaced the timing chains and guides and while I was in there I also replaced the oil pump with the recommended high flow melling pump. I did not replace the cam phasors.

About 2 to 2.5 years ago it started to develop a slight hesitation while driving. Hardly noticeable at first, just a slight loss of power when taking on hills at speed, usually between 60 and 75 MPH. Didn't think anything of it and just ran it until about a year ago. In that time it progressed from that slight hesitation to rough driving at most then all speeds and to rough idling as well. I parked it about a year ago because it was getting rough enough that I didn't feel safe driving it and didn't have the time or the cash to get into it. It sat for about 6 months before I got back to it. My time is rather limited so I've only been able to throw a few hours at it every few weekends. I discovered that the driver side cam phasor had gone bad and replaced it and while that greatly improved the ride, it is still rough and if you let the idle get below 1000 RPM it has a tendency to die. I also replaced the driver side cam sensor. Right now it is only throwing code P0022 consistently. It often throws codes P0340 and P0345 as well. Yes I know I've treated my Expy poorly and should have got on this much sooner. Sometimes life sucks.

I recently downloaded FORScan to try and help me diagnose the problem, but I am not very familiar with it yet. Attached are a few test files that I was able to run using it. Essentially I started the expy, let it idle for a bit, then reved it over 2K rpm for around 30 seconds then let it idle again. First file is with the VCT solenoids connected and codes were not cleared. Second file is without the VCT solenoids connected and codes were not cleared. Third file is my drive to work, VCT's connected and cleared codes before start.

Right now I'm thinking that possibly the driver side chain has jumped a tooth/teeth or maybe a/multiple guide has gone bad or some such, but would welcome other opinions before I open up the engine again. Any help is appreciated and if you are more familiar with FORScan than I am I have no problem running whatever setting you think would be helpful for diagnosis.

Attachments

• FORScan.zip
    405.9 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett