Subframe Rust/Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cosermann

Reaction score
My wife took the Expy (2004) in for an oil change today and the oil change guy told her our subframe was so corroded that the vehicle is unsafe to drive. I've never heard of such a thing. Is this possible?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The First Generation had problems with rusting rear control arms after about 20 years. Never heard of a frame problem on a Ford.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'Subframe' might not be the best use of the term, but the first ladder / cross member / core support where the radiator sits is rust prone on that era Expedition.

OP
OP
C

cosermann

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try to get some pics up. The first ladder/cross member where the radiator is supported was replaced a while back.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a first gen where the towing hitch is about rusted off of it and I think it wouldn't take much to pull it off so I don't use it. The rear lower arms were shot back in 2012 and I replaced them with custom made powder coated rectangular ones. The frame is FINE.
The rockers are rusted through at both rear doors but that has NOTHING to do with structural integrity or safety.
A little rust on the core support but nothing terrible, Ohio SUV all its life.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's an 04 don't worry to much there very inexpensive to replace I crawled under mine recently and heavy rust was everywhere if you own a Ford where they use salt don't look underneath

Plati

Reaction score
I have a 2003XLT, live in Salt City USA, & my rockers are long gone - wheel wells now Gorilla Tape (also gone). Other rust issues (like gas fill tube, replaced brake lines & power steering lines, muffler hangers & bolts, parking brake, spare tire rim, etc).

Frame is fine. FUGLY but fine. Just like myself.

POST PICTURES PLEASE
(every batch of metal that comes out of manufacturing is a different alloy)

Last edited:

Cooper

Reaction score
I have a 2003XLT, live in Salt City USA, & my rockers are long gone - wheel wells now Gorilla Tape (also gone). Other rust issues (like gas fill tube, replaced brake lines & power steering lines, muffler hangers & bolts, parking brake, spare tire rim, etc).

Frame is fine. FUGLY but fine. Just like myself.

POST PICTURES PLEASE
(every batch of metal that comes out of manufacturing is a different alloy)
You have a part number for the muffler hanger?