Sunroof repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first car was an 84 thunderbird elan and had one, never failed me. It also had a perfectly functioning digital dash despite me getting it at 14 years old and 165k. Bought it for $700 with an EGR issue and severely needed a "tuneup".
Nice.....despite my occasional memory loss, I do remember those aero birds. 84 was the second year for the aero birds. I worked at a Ford dealership in 84-85 in the new car prep and warranty department. I drove a bunch of those birds....great cars. I loved the Turbo Coupe’s with the 5sp. manual box.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oddly, the expedition is the first vehicle I've owned in about 15 years without a sunroof. I've never had a problem with one. One of the cars was even older than my expy. I find them nice at times, it vents the heat out in a hurry when it's miserably hot outside and gives you a sense of freedom on long drives. Our navigator has one and it helps to brighten the inside with the shade open, having a black interior and all.

I had one in nearly every car I ever owned and never had a failure - until the Expedition. What's even worse is that I I only used it a handful of times before it failed. Now it's sealed up forever.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to manually close the moonroof?

Mind got stuck open today and I managed to get it most of the way closed by hitting the button and then pulling like a son of a ***** on it. I would rather have shut al l the way and in it's fully closed position, and disconnect the wiring to it if at all possible. I work 7 days a week and don't have the time to devote to fixing it so if I could get 'er shut tight and not open that works for me.

This forum is really laggy and makes searching for things extremely tedious, so...if someone has a link I sure thank ya!

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Older post but had a question. Has anyone had a problem with sunroof when using the vent position? Use mine this way and so far no issues.

OP
OP
ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to manually close the moonroof?

Mind got stuck open today and I managed to get it most of the way closed by hitting the button and then pulling like a son of a ***** on it. I would rather have shut al l the way and in it's fully closed position, and disconnect the wiring to it if at all possible. I work 7 days a week and don't have the time to devote to fixing it so if I could get 'er shut tight and not open that works for me.

This forum is really laggy and makes searching for things extremely tedious, so...if someone has a link I sure thank ya!

Yes. You can detach the glass, move the guides into position and then reattach the glass. That's what I did with mine. It's remained shut for about 2 years.

Last edited:

Ford Frank

Reaction score
People mention disconnecting the wiring and pulling the fuse. What is the easiest way to make it inoperable so my kids don’t open it?

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pull the fuse. It's listed in the manual which one. After I went though a massive repair of my sunroof on my own I pulled the fuse. No need to go through that mess again.

athensdawgs81

Reaction score
Reviving again! Getting ready to tackle this job with the Sunroof DR kit. When dropping the headliner do you have to remove the vents/registers, or do they drop with the liner? Thought I saw a thread earlier where I think it said you did not have to remove them, but I can't find that one again to confirm.

Last edited:

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reviving again! Getting ready to tackle this job with the Sunroof DR kit. When dropping the headliner do you have to remove the vents/registers, or do they drop with the liner? Thought I saw a thread earlier where I think it said you did not have to remove them, but I can't find that one again to confirm.
If I remember I did not remove the vents, just dropped the headliner, slid it back a bit and left it in the truck. Good luck with it as it was a nightmare, so much so that once I finished, test once, and removed the fuse and have not opened it since. Scared it'll break again and I'll have to redo it.

This thread has good details:
Sunroof repair thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205