superchargers or turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree that you wont see 500 horse with just a induction system. tritons are truck motors and make good torque. i understand it is easier to asjust a wastegate or blowoff valve to keep the turbo under control but they also fail very easy the main reason my powerstroke doesnt have either one. in that regard you can put the pulley on for your desired boost and walk away with less worry and cash.. i also think you will be surprised if you get 350horse and about 400 torque it will be a very quick expy

i agree im really gonna go with the lightlin set up

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lightnings made 380 at the crank with 8# of boost, and about 310-320 at the wheels. With a 6 lb lower pulley, it would be about 400 at the wheels, or roughly 500 HP at the crank, and nearly 500 lb ft of torque at the wheels. That setup works well, and is fairly safe with a good tune.
I say find a wrecked L and gut the drivetrain, the only issue will be the computer is setup for 2wd and not 4wd. You can just pull the topend blower setup off (and intercooler), and get a tune for your existing computer, but you need a lot of supporting parts to make it work right. I posted a link to the parts list a few weeks back in another thread. http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/how-se...89-how-add-svt-supercharger-5-4-n-engine.html
There is someone on the Lightning forums with a lifted 4x4 crew F150, and he did the swap. I think his SN on lightningrodder.com is Z7What. Try to find out what all is needed for the 4wd guys from him.
Your bottom end should hold up with no more than 14 lbs of boost, but I would stay safe at 12. The weak spot may be your tranny if you do not have the 4R100. If you have the 4R75, it will detonate within 5-10K miles with that much torque.

thanks dude really apreciate the help

Reaction score
STS makes an awesome turbo kit the up side to a turbo kit is your not drawing power to make power your using the waste of the motor to produce power ans with the sc your having to push the pulley to get power both work well a guy i work with had a 05 f150 with a turbo kit on the 5.4L and it was really impressive when he was towing his 25 ft cobalt boat

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i gotta throw a caution about towing with a turbo charged gas motor as for the extra heat turbos produce and the non reliable charactoristics of a waste gate and blowoff valve not to mention gas engines are not designed to handle exhaust temps over 600-700 degrees... just be careful

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out Procharger, they make good centrifugal chargers for the Expy's and you can get them with or without intercoolers. As for turbos: those are only for diesels and ricers.

OP
OP
tritonman5.4

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out Procharger, they make good centrifugal chargers for the Expy's and you can get them with or without intercoolers. As for turbos: those are only for diesels and ricers.
good deal,hey i posted to reply about my trip to alaska

Steps

Reaction score

That is a boneheaded statement. Vinny Barber runs 8.4 seconds @ 164 MPH in the 1/4 on a single turbo built S197 Mustang. Is that RICE?!?!

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83971#post83971

Check out that ET list and the 1/4 times they are running with "ricer" turbos. There are 6 Mustangs on that list running 9 seconds or faster with Turbo power adders.

Turbo has nothing to do with Rice. Rice = people that do dumb things to cars like 10ft. wings, 50 stickers, and yell out "I got NAWWZZZZ BRO!" everywhere they go.

Last edited:

Steps

Reaction score
Honestly, I was not making this personal...I attacked a statement that Turbo's are for rice, thus the comment "Boneheaded statement".

I have no reason to get personal and would not do so.

With that said...I wanted to make sure people on the board undertood what Turbo's can really do.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go supercharged

Turbos can add more heat to your engine, shorten oil life, coke up oil lines, and generally cause a lot more maintenance issues. Superchargers are less head aches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik