Sure could use some help with this problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillip

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to say Hello to everyone, as I am new to the forum today.

OK, I have a 2002 Expedition XLT, 2 wheel drive. 5.4 engine. Now lets see if I can explain the problem I'm having.

I had the fuel pump replaced about 1 month ago, then we took a trip to Tenn. and while on the way the engine would just shut of for about one second and then go back to running fine. When it shut off, it was like turning the key off. All the instruments would stop working, the outside temp. reading cluster would go blank, then it would, on it's own, go back to running fine. Now all this was happening at highway speed, with the cruise control on.
It did it about 6 times in 400 miles and about 2 times on the way back.

Well right away, I felt I had problems with the fuel pump not working. Then after retuning home. I went to the store for my wife, shut the car off, got out and used the remote to lock the doors and nothing. I got back into the car and tried to start it and nothing. Not even a click. The door locks would not work, the instrument cluster did not respond. I had nothing. First thing I did was step on the brake and kazam, it started and everthing was working.
I shut it off, got out and used the remote to lock the doors, did my shopping, came back out, unlocked the door, started up and drove home.

Well this past weekend, we went to New Orleans to vist my son. Same thing with the shutting off. Did it about six times in 300 miles and also went through the same problem with everthing going dead and not starting when I shut it off to get gas. Did the same thing, stepped on the brake, moved the shifter and it started. From then on, I drove without the cruise control and didn't seem to have one problem, both on the rest of the way there and all the way back home, no problem.
So today my wife goes to the store and sure enough, when she shut it off , nothing. She messed with the shifter and stepped on the brake and it started.

I need help.
This vehicle has been a great one. Has 210.000 miles and the only repair(knock on wood) has been the fuel pump.

Thanks,
Phillip

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Phillip, I can see 2 possible problems with what you are having. The more likely one is a failing relay in the truck. Specifically, the Accessory delay relay. This would drop power to various computers and cause the truck to seem like someone turned it off (well, that is what is really happening). Then a bump in the road or something and all is back to normal. Look in your owners manual and see if you can swap the accessory delay relay with another relay of the same size and see if your problem goes away. If it does, replace the relay.

The other possibility is you have an issue with your GEM module. This controls the Accessory Delay relay. Specifically, are you noticing this problem being more of an issue when it rains and/or you noticing a wet carpet at the driver's feet after rain/getting the truck washed? If so, then you have a leaking windshield and water is dripping down on to the GEM module, shorting it out, causing it to mess up, dropping power to parts of the truck, leading to what you are seeing. The fix, first, get the windshield pulled from the truck and then re-sealed (about $100 for a windshield place to do it) and then pull the GEM module out and see if you can dry it out by taking it into your house and putting the module in front of a fan or in front of a hair dryer on low heat (do not get the module hotter than what you are willing to keep your hand on for a long time).

Hope this helps.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Thermo said and with good clean shiny connections.

Have you had any aftermarket work done on this, stereos or alarms etc?

OP
OP
P

Phillip

Reaction score
WOW, thanks for the fast responses.

I haven't checked for any water leak, but it has not rained in my part of the country in about 6 weeks, but I will still check that area out tomorrow, with the water hose.

The relay sounds like a good possibility and I'll check that out first thing tomorrow.

As for after market additions. No, not any. All original.

Thanks. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt