Swapping out factory stereo questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Cain

Reaction score
So I have a nice double-din Kenwood head-unit with Apple car play and all the fancy new tech that we all hate/love. I have the factory nav unit with the THX certified sound system in my 07 Navigator. My question to you guys is, if I swapped out the factory unit for the Kenwood, what features do I lose? I know of a few listed below, but wanted to see if I’m missing anything before making the plunge:

Would lose following features that I’m aware of:

1. Built-in Navigation - now I say this knowing my factory nav doesnt work and never has due to an old nav disc it came with and never even looked into updating it because I figured it was expensive and possibly not a good product lol

2. SCV - speed controlled volume feature

3. Factory steering wheel controls

4. Not sure about how many speakers the THX system has but guessing it’s more than the 4 channels provided from the Kenwood unit so have to figure that out as well

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crutchfield doesn't like to help unless you buy from them. Besides loosing the factory navigation I believe you'll loose the stock rear DVD/entertainment as well.

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call Crutchfield.....
Lol, there's some advice hahaahhahahaa. You asked!

You won't lose anything if you hook it up right. You need a wiring harness. The one I bought was $50 at Walmart but I found it on eBay for $25.

If you use a wiring harness, which you should, you won't lose any functionality and you won't be splicing any of the stock wiring.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked back through my email for the order receipt, this is the one I bought for my 07 expedition:

SCOSCHE FD5000SW - Select 2005 and Up Ford Stereo Replacement Interface - NEW
Item# 163829476592 $22.95 USD

Your 07 navigator is supported with this harness. It's listed as compatible on the packaging.

Last edited:

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Built-in Navigation - now I say this knowing my factory nav doesnt work and never has due to an old nav disc it came with and never even looked into updating it because I figured it was expensive and possibly not a good product lol

2. SCV - speed controlled volume feature

3. Factory steering wheel controls

4. Not sure about how many speakers the THX system has but guessing it’s more than the 4 channels provided from the Kenwood unit so have to figure that out as well

1. Apple car play or any smart headunit should do nav way better than any stock navigation anyway

2. Not 100% sure about this one, but, I think the wiring harness should support it.

3. The wiring harness definitely does tie into steering controls

4. Any stock stero system should match the wiring harness as long as it lists the vehicle make and model on the package.

Hooking up the harness will be really simple. You take the manual included with the harness and the wiring diagram of the head unit and just splice the wires from the harness into the head unit. Then you just plug it into your car like it's a factory head unit!

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Crutchfield doesn't like to help unless you buy from them. Besides loosing the factory navigation I believe you'll loose the stock rear DVD/entertainment as well.

didn't even think about that, but I'm assuming I would only lose the ability to control the DVD player from the stock unit since the DVD system has it's own set of controls?

FORD-EXPY

Reaction score
Your in luck. You can use an “idatalink maestro” rr module...and correct harness. This will greatly simplify your install. This harness will directly communicate with your can bus in the car and retain all kinds of factory features....and add tons of new ones including engine performance.

Once you “flash” the module for your specific car the install is pretty straight forward and will plug directly into the vehicles existing harness.

I would agree that calling Crutchfield is a good idea. They are very helpful...they will even prewire your harness...making the install plug and play..! If it still seems overwhelming...buy the unit at Best Buy and get free install. Either way you will still need to buy the idatalink module, harness and dash kit...which can total to nearly $200

You will not regret the idatalink maestro harness investment

I have it on my 2011 Expy and it’s fantastic

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
didn't even think about that, but I'm assuming I would only lose the ability to control the DVD player from the stock unit since the DVD system has it's own set of controls?
Your new head unit probably has video output but controlling a DVD player... what are DVDs anyway

What's your budget? I guess its the right question to ask at this point.

Are you talking about doing this yourself or taking it to a professional installer

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your in luck. You can use an “idatalink maestro” rr module...and correct harness. This will greatly simplify your install. This harness will directly communicate with your can bus in the car and retain all kinds of factory features....and add tons of new ones including engine performance.

Once you “flash” the module for your specific car the install is pretty straight forward and will plug directly into the vehicles existing harness.

I would agree that calling Crutchfield is a good idea. They are very helpful...they will even prewire your harness...making the install plug and play..! If it still seems overwhelming...buy the unit at Best Buy and get free install. Either way you will still need to buy the idatalink module, harness and dash kit...which can total to nearly $200

You will not regret the idatalink maestro harness investment.

I have it on my 2011 Expy and it’s fantastic

Agree!
I used Crutchfield and did exactly what you desscribed above. You do loose the remote controlling of the rear entertainment system but it will continue to work manually with headphones. This wasn't a concern for me because I never used it. And when grand kids use it they like the headphones.
IMG-0258.jpg