Switching to Synthetic Oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I am in the process of purchasing a used 2001-2002 EB (25k-45k miles) and wanted to check on what the current thoughts are on running synthetic oil vs. the regular oil.

Is it an easy decision to go with sythetic over regular?

any suggested info/websites on the regular vs. synthetic debate?

What Sythetic oil do you use or recommend?

I want to take care of the engine as much as possible....this would be a 5.4L engine.

Thanks for any feedback.

OP
OP
G

It is my understanding that yes, it is an easy decision. There was good link to a page discussing engine oil on here the other day. Try searching the archives.

Personally I am a little on the cheap side and I use a blended synthetic. It is about half the price of a full synthetic and I still change my oil about every 5000 miles. Valvoline DuraBlend. I have been using it for the last 50,000 miles or so with no problems.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easy Answer

- FULL Synthetic
- Mobil1 5W-30
- Quality oil filter (do not use Fram)
- oil change 3-5k

OP
OP
G

I just bought a 2000 Eddie Bauer and I swithced it over to Synthetic. I use Valvoline Synpower 5w30 in all of my vehicles. I have had great results. I would recommend that you use a Motorcraft oil filter. I have worked at a Ford Dealership for the last 18 years and we have never had a vehicle fail due to a oil filter concern.

OP
OP
G

With synthetic oil would you say that 4k-5k between changes is good, or should i extend to 5k or reduce to 3k....

when i first started looking at expeditions i saw that folks were changing at 5k and i thought that was a nice bonus...currently on my explorer i change every 2.5k to 3K...

thanks for any info.

kidzstang

Reaction score
synth oil change frequency

I use full synthetic oil, buy Mobil 1 at Walmart for $18.00 / 5 quarts, and Mobil 1 oil filters. I change at 3 - 4 thousand mile intervals. Because the oil is used to carry away the engine borne contaminates I can't see what good leaving the oil for longer intervals will do. Of course it costs about $500 more over doing $7500 mile changes @$25.00 per change for 100,000 miles but I think its good insurance. I just need to get my garage heated for those mid winter changes.:cheers:

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Synthetics usually contain more acid neutralizers and resist thermal breakdown better than their dino counterparts. This is why they can go longer before changing.

I use semi-synth in my Expy (Motorcraft 5w-20) and dino in all my others.

I used Fram filters in my last Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 that was at 187K when I sold it and still running stong. If you change every 3-5K I see no reason NOT to use Fram.

However, I only use Motorcraft filters in my Ford truck(s).

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please read this link:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

This is the "famous" oil filter study that haas been floating around the web. I do not know the individuals credentials, but his conclusions are based on actually ripping filters apart and examining them. It is woth reading.

The short of it is:

1) STAY AWAY FROM FRAM
2) It seems Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator

Anyway, food for thought.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've read it and others.

I base my findings on experience in using them. I, personally, have no reason to bash them they way they get bashed on the internet. Again, just from their performance with one of my vehicles over a 5 year period. (And 37 Fram filters)

BTW, that report is 4 years old.

I also see no reason to use them when the Motorcraft counterpart is sitting right next to it for basically the same price. :)

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know its dated, but the info on contruction is relevant. That report (and discussion on other forums) where what helped me make the decision to switch away from Fram X2's, but then again, I did not have any problems with them!

I suppose it is just a case of what is on the shelf consistantly, as I don't like to jump back and forth between brands, and right now, it seems the Purolator (Motorcraft) brand is always on the shelf.