Sync to Sync3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen several write ups on swapping out the 4" Sync to something aftermarket. I'm wondering if it's possible, & if so what all would be involved with trying to install a junkyard larger screen Sync3 out of same year model expedition?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen several write ups on swapping out the 4" Sync to something aftermarket. I'm wondering if it's possible, & if so what all would be involved with trying to install a junkyard larger screen Sync3 out of same year model expedition?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

There are many Kits out there for it, so yes. You need the bezel and the APIM from the donor vehicle!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Upgrade from 4”-8”
https://www.infotainment.com/products/2015-2017-ford-expedition-4-to-8-sync-3-touchscreen-upgrade

Currently (as far as I have found) the only way possible to go directly aftermarket with the 4” is the Tesla style Android system.
Unfortunately the processor, RAM, and memory specs are half of what they need to be.
https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.co...roid-navi-radio-for-ford-expedition-2015-2016

You could possibly see if infotainment will sell you a kit without a screen, then buy a double din aftermarket unit of your choice that is idatalink compatible, and buy the datalink maestro interface and be done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Black not trying to spend 1to 2k. Just wondering if I could snag a 8" out of a wrecked Expy, along with the Apim, or what ever else I need. And simply plug the stuff in for 2-3 hundred dollars. Stuff sure isnt as simple as the old days.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Black not trying to spend 1to 2k. Just wondering if I could snag a 8" out of a wrecked Expy, along with the Apim, or what ever else I need. And simply plug the stuff in for 2-3 hundred dollars. Stuff sure isnt as simple as the old days.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk
You can do that, and I believe the Sync2 to Sync3 only requires the screen and the APIM (and the updated USB console jack). The issue you'll have is being the first one to pounce on a working Sync3 in a junked car. Odds are the yard knows what the value is and pulls them nearly instantly and sells them off to the folks on Ebay.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You certainly cherry pick the parts yourself. Now way you’ll do it for $300.
A quick search on car-part.com

Shows at least $100 for the new bezel, $200 for the screen.
You’ll still need the APM, proper media USB input, pretty sure you have to do the HVAC module as the 4” bezel has slightly different controls than the 8” set up.

Then I am pretty sure your CD player and APIM need to be reflashed. Not sure how to go about doing that outside of infotainments flasher.
Maybe something in ForScan but I have no clue.

I absolutely hate these stereos that incorporate all sorts of crap not related to the stereo like HVAC into them and have all these weird contoured bezels and the like.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the APIM and the Sync 3 Screen are from the same Donor and a 16 or 17, it should plug right up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01