synthetic vs dot 3 brake fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All brake fluids are synthetic. DOT 3 DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are glycol based.
DOT 5 is silicone based. Stay with what the owners manual says and a brand that you trust. The cheap stuff will only break down quicker.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmm...when changing brake fluid,do u drain the fluid in resevior then fill up.....or do we have to bleed it all out which makes more sense but CAN we...MAY we just drain most of it from under hood....would help a bit no?:rolleyes:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Siphon out the resevoir as much as you can, then fill it up with new fluid. Then all you have to do it go through bleeding your brakes with your preferred method. My favorite is one I posted in the "How To" section.

spiveyr1

Reaction score
DOT 5 vs.DOT 3

Double check me but I believe that DOT 5 is NOT recommended for ABS systems because it develops air bubbles if you rapidly pump the pedal. That is essentially what the ABS system does during a panic stop. It pulsates the pedal for you. If you have ABS brakes I would stick with a name brand DOT 3.