Tahoe to Expedition??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Tahoe that has been nothing but trouble and thinking of Expeditions. The Tahoe has 180,+ miles on it, I bought it with 160K three years ago as a work truck. I have to say that I really do like it, but electrical issues are driving me nuts. But...this is the first GM I have owned since 1976, been Fords since then with vans, trucks, cars, etc. My wife is on her 4th Ford Flex and we love it. We are also lucky enough to have a great Ford dealer (Fenton Ford) near to us who is the absolute best.

So...if I shop Expeditions, could you give me a heads up as to good and bad for recent model years? I want cargo space more than people space (we have the Flex), but I do use it for non work stuff. V8 or Turbo V6? Not sure of tranny mods as to year (6 speed in '09 and up GM). Guess I need to read more here, just hoping for a direction from you.

Thank you...

Jamo

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the 3rd gens are pretty good trucks. My 07 has 161,000 on it but issues do arise, being able to turn a wrench I just take it as it comes. Mine is the 5.4L V8 no complaints here, runs great. watch for rusting rocker panels, aluminum corrosion, etc it's a common problem. As they age like any vehicle things arise that you have to fix but generally they are reliable. Six speed started in 2007, four speed is in 03-06' ones if you look at the 2nd gens, they are fine trucks too just a bit more tempermental and you'll definitely need to be able to turn a wrench if you grab one. 5.4 V8 ran from 1997-2014 over two generations of 2V then 3V and 3.5 Ecoboost is from 2015 to present now on its second generation as well. 4.6L Triton was available in some first and 2nd gen years. I like these better than tahoes personally, GM interiors tend to fall apart.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty good summation JE....and while I actually like the looks of the New Chev large suvs better, I've owned 3 Expy's.....and most of us don't tend to drop serious money if we'd had bad experiences on two prior of the same model.

jeff

OP
OP
Jamo

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys...appreciate the info. I'll do more poking around on this site. Nice place...

And nice pic there Jeff. Do full access members get any access??

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for cargo space rather than passenger space, you might want to try and get an EL (Extended length), gives a nice increase in cargo space (with the 3rd row seats down). I had a Tahoe before and much prefer the expedition, it feels and drives more like a car than a truck, the AC also seems to be better than in the Tahoe.. As stated do watch out for the 07 & 08 models due to issues with the cam phasers, but there is very little wrong with any 3rd gen expedition.

Gary

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys...appreciate the info. I'll do more poking around on this site. Nice place...

And nice pic there Jeff. Do full access members get any access??

Sweet isn't she? I used to tease guys not to talk about my pretend "daughter" then they would apologize for Gods sake....glad you enjoy her, I do!

jeff

Nathan3211

Reaction score
I just traded my 2012 Suburban LT for a 2012 Expedition EL Limited and all i can say is WOW! there's no comparison. the Suburban is nice but that Expedition is in another league

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've had three XLT Expys and DW's KR. All trouble free except a transmission that was replaced with about a hundred miles left in warranty on a 2000.

Now I have a 2014 Yukon Denali XL I bought from DD. So far so good, but I'llI take Expeditions over the Yukons. I do have to say that the Denali looks way nicer going down the road and the 6.2 is a runner. Not sure about its long term reliability though.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Well this is an Expedition site, so naturally we like Expeditions. But in our fleet here we've had Tahoes and Expeditions. The Expeditions seem to be in a much higher league with quality of interiors, ride quality and overall durability. Even the SSV fleet Expeditions are nicely appointed. The fleet tahoes are like mason's pickup trucks.

Nate03

Reaction score
I wanted and looked for a Yukon/Tahoe because personally I like the looks a lot better and still do.. I have friends that have them and Escalades. They all have run great and two of them have over 150k miles on them. They all have the 6.2 liter though. The comment about interiors has been true though and they have a lot of issues with computers and stuff just stops working on the interior. The power running boards go out just like Ford does, the air ride suspension goes out etc..

The bottom line for me is I couldn't get everything I wanted with my budget on a Chevy/GMC without looking for one in the 70k mile + range. I never considered Ford because I was looking for a late model and didn't want the V6. Well I am now buying a 17 Ford Expedition after doing a bunch of research and the price difference is amazing for what I found. I don't have it yet, but the dealer is supposed to pick it up today! I hope all my research pays off. I will be towing my boat with this fairly often in the summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1