Temp gauge not reaching normal point....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.4L expy. As the weather has gotten colder, I noticed the temp gauge is only reaching 1/4 of the way up the range. When usually it reaches 1/2 of the way. This is after driving 20 minutes, there is still heat and all the fluids look good. Could it be a sensor?

Thanks,
Calvin

jstrut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.4L expy. As the weather has gotten colder, I noticed the temp gauge is only reaching 1/4 of the way up the range. When usually it reaches 1/2 of the way. This is after driving 20 minutes, there is still heat and all the fluids look good. Could it be a sensor?

Thanks,
Calvin

It may be your thermostat. That's what happend to mine, the thermostat was stuck open and one day i noticed it was a couple lines lower than normal and that's what it was.

03EBExpyGA

Reaction score
...about normal operating temp. & thermostats, my 03 is operating at about 160~165 with ambeint temp around 72 degrees. Anyone know what the temp. spec for the 5.4L should be, it coded "low temp" on the drive back from IL. when outside temp was around 30 degrees, I noticed that the heater only blows warm air, not very hot!

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats usually a sign of your thermostat going bad is lack of hot air from your heater. My heater used to hardly put out anything until i changed the thermostat out. I swapped mine at 110 k.

OP
OP

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats usually a sign of your thermostat going bad is lack of hot air from your heater. My heater used to hardly put out anything until i changed the thermostat out. I swapped mine at 110 k.

It has heat but probably not as much as it should. I should probably replace it anyways, I have 177xxx on the clock and its never been done. It looks easy from what I have read online.

Thanks for the help. I will report back if it worked or not.

Calvin

Reaction score
engine temp

hi-i,m new to the forum, but have a lot of experience with expys. One mistake i made was buying a run of the mill brand of thermostat that didn't quite bring the engine to temp so the tranny wouldn't shift to od or engage the lock-up. i went back and bought a stant brand and it took care of it pronto. just adding my two cents. good luck !!!