The Dreaded Rear Wiper Drain....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this. Might be old news to some, so forgive me. As stated above, been having this problem. Wiper would not return to "park", battery would drain, etc. Took it to the dealer, who told me I needed a whole new rear wiper motor ($170 for the part, 3-4 hours labor). Told them "No, it's just easier not to use the rear wiper". Me being me, I decided to investigate. I had the rear hatch trim off anyway (got rear-ended last week), so I figured what the heck? With liftgate glass open, I turned the rear wiper motor on. Motor moved freely, easily and did not bind. So, took the motor out (easy) and found a manufacture date of 11/07! On a 2003 Expy! So, I tried to manually engage the wiper arm. It took some serious arm strength. So, unscrewed the arm, removed the trim, removed the outside nut, then the two inside nuts, and took the whole "pivot spindle" to my workbench. Gently pulled the spindle out of its sleeve and what do you know?!? The grease that is inside the tube (which helps keep it lubricated and moving freely) had completely dried out and turned "gummy", causing the whole thing to bind. Using my gun cleaning kit, sprayed solvent in, then used my gun bore cleaning brush and got it all out. Generously lubricated with new grease, reversed the removal procedure, and BAM! Wiper now moves freely, parks as it should, and is back to normal. So, instead of $300-$450 at the dealer, it cost me 2.5 hours of my own labor using things I already had.

It's like the problem I had with my power steering binding when I turned the wheel. Dealer said I needed a new rack and pump- $1200. Went home, took the fluid reservoir and tubes out, thoroughy soaked them in a gentle cleaner, dried, re-installed and added new fluid. Problem solved!

I wish I had taken pictures in case it would have helped others out. If you are having this problem, and the dealer says you need a whole new rear wiper motor, DON'T TAKE THEM AT THEIR WORD! See for yourself first. You might be able to save some money! Now, if you have the $300 or so bucks to throw around to get it fixed, call me. I'll do it for you for that price!

SilverBack

Reaction score
Had the same issue and fixed it like you did. I have been back to the dealer 1 time for a warranty fix. I can fix my own issues.

ghost0217

Reaction score
This is good stuff. I am having the same issue on my wifes 2001 xlt. I will do exactly as stated and report back my results.

Thank you for the writeup.

ghost

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're welcome! Hope it helps more folks not throw money away at the stealership, I mean, dealership....

ExpeditionDrew

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am having the same problem with the motor, and now i will have an excuse to go work on the expy more:D, but has anyone had a problem with the rear wiper fluid line leaking inside the vehicle, specifically thru the rear dome light. its a 99...when i bought it i just thought the motor was bad. but when i tried the wiper fluid nothing happened then 10 seconds later there was fluid dripping thru the dome light:confused:????

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am having the same problem with the motor, and now i will have an excuse to go work on the expy more:D, but has anyone had a problem with the rear wiper fluid line leaking inside the vehicle, specifically thru the rear dome light. its a 99...when i bought it i just thought the motor was bad. but when i tried the wiper fluid nothing happened then 10 seconds later there was fluid dripping thru the dome light:confused:????

my 99 does the exact same thing... haven't taken the time to look into it but might start this summer... been going on 2 years now..lol

04blkbauer

Reaction score
The Dreaded Wiper/Brain Drain...

Rear Wiper would not move intermittently (Pin wasn’t locking to motor Assy after Hatch Glass was opened), Months later Rear Wiper would not Park, then Rear Wiper would not work at all, One night Battery Drained overnight, Auto Parts store tested Battery & Charging System to be fine with Battery recovery weak, Wanted to sell me new Battery, Replaced Battery w/ fairly new spare battery in storage, Battery drained overnight, ripped thin copper positive Battery terminal in two, Replaced terminal, Added disconnect Terminal to Gnd & checked Current draw, No problem found, after a few days & rain, battery drained overnight again, Checked Current draw, Opened Hatch Glass & Wiper Motor Parked after Key had been off for hours, Replaced corroded Rear Wiper Mechanism components in Hatch Glass (not Wiper Motor - Dealer Parts Counter was very persistent in trying to sell me the Motor), Never had a problem again.

Three20seven

Reaction score
Rear wiper fluid leak

A few years ago my '98 leaked so I pulled the trim off near the sides and roof to access the fluid tubing that runs to the rear glass. The tube came loose from a t-fitting or extension (been a few years, can't remember). I took a few small zip ties and re-attached the tubing. No more leak. Not that it matters much now because my wiper motor spindle is stripped and I don't want to drive across town to the junk yard for another motor.