This mileage is ridiculously wrong or something is with the car!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neogenesis

Reaction score
I just bought an 03 Eddie Bauer 5.4L with 170K that has a fuel relay switch problem which I now know how to fix thanks to this wonderful forum!

I also have a 97 expedition XLT with 226K so I’m kind of comparing the two as a frame of reference for this post.

My 97 XLT I can drive it to the store and back and around town for 20 minutes and bring it home and the engine is still practically cool it just doesn’t seem to ever get hot.

But this new one the 2003 that I just bought just a two minute drive and the engine is just radiating massive amounts of heat. Even though there are no warning lights and the dash guage shows temp right in the middle where it should be, never goes above 1/2 way.

The information screen states that I’m making about 6 to 8 miles per gallon or less when driving nearly coasting on a long flat even smooth road. That could be an issue with the fuse relay perhaps I don’t know. Maybe the computer is flaky? I just got it so I don’t have the benefit of seeing how many miles I got out of a full tank of gas yet. And am getting used to the differences from my Gen 1 Expy.

Oh yeah, and the AdvanceTrac warning/issue indicator keeps popping up as well. Wheel bearing issue perhaps or a speed sensor? That might be related to the mpg being so low, I dunno....

The car drives fine it handles well there’s no hesitation accelerates great, it practically looks and feels brand new inside and out. No codes show up on my OBD. All the fluids check out and are topped off and look great. I’m about to give it a oil change and have the rear differential checked and changed.

It’s got a couple of the usual minor irritating problems that a lot of other people in the forum complain about such as clogged drain ports on the doors, leaky sunroof, One of the rear vent windows doesn’t open, AWD doesn’t work or light up on the dash when engaged, also I can’t tell when I’m driving if it’s engaged or not either. All the other 2D, 4H, 4L Drive functions do. The front passenger speaker doesn’t work but all the other ones sound great. My Sideview mirror control doesn’t seem to work either. 6 disc CD changer busted. Some under paint corrosion on hood and back hatch. Easy to remedy stuff mostly.

Many of the smaller issues may be fuse, actuator or relay problems, I’ll be checking the fuse control box next and see if everything there is working.

All workable no biggies, but the hot engine (there’s no burn oil smell) just feels really hot, and system reading 6-8 MPG!?

Do any of you you kind knowledgeable gentleman or Expy ladies able to offer me some ideas or input? Thank you in advance, it’s greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• E69E4557-D7A6-43AE-A6E4-9824C540B147.jpeg
    E69E4557-D7A6-43AE-A6E4-9824C540B147.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 7F310BEC-0A61-48ED-A945-8DB263B77CD9.jpeg
    7F310BEC-0A61-48ED-A945-8DB263B77CD9.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need a service manual and wiring diagrams you can download them free at Cardiagn.com .

Do you have an IR thermo gun that you can point at the motor and see what the actual temperature is ? Or is your '97 just running cold ?

OP
OP
N

neogenesis

Reaction score
I don't have that tool but will look into it. Thanks.
My 97 runs great I don't know what running cold means. That should be a good thing right?
Sorry Hamfisted, I am a bit of a mechanical newbie. I worked in design and creative services most my life but I am now choosing to work with mechanical and learn systems and do some DIY fixes as much as possible. Just started a couple years ago. Little by little getting more capable.

I',m really grateful for your helpfulness and expertise here on the forum. You are the man!

Will Bean

Reaction score
There are tons of things that can compile to rob fuel mileage without tripping a light. Wheel drag from brake or bearing issues. Worn tie rods, bushing, or ball joint, that also wears tires like crazy. Clogged air filter. Vacuum leaks, etc... Just start at the top and work your way down. Invest in a mid-grade Autel computer. They're reasonable at $400-500 and allow you to pull Trans codes, advance-trac codes, etc... They also have a wide range of live data tables to give a better idea of what's going on.
My Expy is a salvage. After I replaced everything under the front and had it aligned, I reset my steering angle sensor and my lights went out. One of these days I'll deal with that pesky TPMS issue when it beeps one too many times on start up.