This sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I spent an hour trying to get off the 8 bolts that hold up the towing hitch on the back of my truck.

I got 3 off during that hour... I weigh 190 pounds and I'm a pretty strong dude...

Any suggestions on how to get those damn stubborn things off?

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PB Blaster. Soak the bolts down and leave them for several hours. If that does not work a cutoff wheel on a die grinder will loosen any bolt.

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I soaked the freakin things with wd40 an hour before I even started working on it

homer169

Reaction score
WD-40 doesn't do the job nearly as well as PB Blaster will. There's also a product on the market called Knockerloose that works even better. We ended up with a can of that at work a year ago and it gets rusted shut parts free quickly.

HFFH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
put a pipe over your ratchet like a breaker bar to get more leverage

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for PB blaster works a lot better than wd-40

+1 for cheater bar on ratchet

+1 for impact

or all else fails heat the bolt to get it off

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Half transmission oil mixed with half acetone is one of the best things to use for rusted bolts, you have to let it soak for several hours in order for it to work, but die grinder if all else fail.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
or, you can pay somebody else to deal with the problem! hahah. just kidding. you might also want to make sure that puppy isnt welded in place too. my 98, some ******* welded the hitch on so even after i got all the bolts out....what a day!

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
or, you can pay somebody else to deal with the problem! hahah. just kidding. you might also want to make sure that puppy isnt welded in place too. my 98, some ******* welded the hitch on so even after i got all the bolts out....what a day!

Like I said in another post, some way or another PB blaster literally got rid of every bit of rust on it... so I'm just gonna tape up the bumper and spray paint it once the weather is a little warmer.