Throttle body cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Spending all my spare time lately chasing a problem on my F150 has me feeling the Expy is being neglected, plus it's been idling pretty rough for several months. Then, I couldn't recall ever cleaning the Expy's throttle body.:Frustrated:

I had just completed the same job on the F150, so it went pretty quick. Here's what the Expy's TB looked like when I pulled it off....

Z2FjqiCb.jpg, VlkenvVb.jpg, 8CILoEUb.jpg

It was rather shameful to let it get that nasty. The truck has 156k miles on it, I bought it with 11k on it, so the TB has probably never been serviced. I went ahead & pulled the intake horn off too, the EGR ports were completely plugged with a black tar thing growing into the throat. Had to drill both ports out.

Idles much better now.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like a Louisiana swamp! Yikes. You can spray out the intake once a year. Do it on your birthday. That would be your present, a better running truck. As far as the Egr, a coat hanger and carb clean is what I used.you have the pull it unfortunately. How's it running now?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Running like a champ. The only symptom I had was rough idle before a cleaned it, but I wonder if mileage on highway will improve a bit now that the EGR ports can actually pass some exhaust back into the manifold.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty damn clean, you ain't seen nothing yet till you went at a biturbo diesel throttle body

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
And to think of all the “additives “ the gasoline brands tout! Makes the case that theoall full of it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like scrubbing your kitchen floor with a brush and ammonia, nothing works like good old elbow grease!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:xmasorlyflag: REPLACE POSITION SENSOR. BE READY FOR PHILLIPS HEAD TORQED AT OVER 100LBS MAY NEED TO CUT A NEW FLAT HEAD SLOT INTO THE SCREW AND USE LARGEST DRIVER YOU CAN FIND

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing diesel I have is an old tractor & it is truly filthy around all fuel-related parts. Can't imagine a turbo version.

Looks like coal, sticks like epoxy... if there's JUST an inch-thick chunk hanging off your throttle body, you're in good shape.

Some guys post pics with like 75-90% filled up throttles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1