Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myster10

Reaction score
Hey! Hope I have posted this on the right area, I saw a thread on this website about the battery blinking error and I don't think it's the right solution for my problem. Another symptom is the radio is fuzzy when turned on.

So my battery is fine, tested at 12.4v, when I run the vehicle the battery light is blinking /flashing and shows up at about 11.5 on the voltmeter. The idler pulley is loose and moves easily when I rotate it with my hands, so I presume that's what's causing the alternator not to run efficiently and giving the error?

Does anyone know how to make the pulley not rotate by I presume tightening the belt Adjuster? Thanks it's a holiday tomorrow so I won't be able to make it to thanksgiving if I can't fix it myself.

2003 Ford Expedition 5.4

Regards

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think there’s a language barrier here.

The idler pulley should spin freely.

The tensioner needs to apply tension to the belt to turn all the other pulleys without the belt slipping. The tensioner does wear out.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replace the tensioner & belt. Remove & Check the other idler pulleys for smooth turning while holding the bearing on your finger. If it feels a little rough while turning, replace it.
Check on Rockauto.com unless you need faster.
Rockauto 5% Discount Code & instructions
Tensioner
Idler Pulley
Belt
I personally use the Motorcraft since they have already lasted so long on my truck but the Dayco or Gates products are very good manufacture.

OP
OP
M

Myster10

Reaction score
The idler pulley should spin freely.
Oh really? I saw a video that explained that was the cause of the symptoms, got excited it's not an alternator problem. Have an idea what it could be? I've been checking wires, not sure what fuses to check though.. Thanks

OP
OP
M

Myster10

Reaction score
Amazing thank you I will check this all out and retest the pulley, reckon that's it then? Regards

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How old is the alternator ? If it's original it's probably wearing out. Nowhere in the system should you see 11.5v when the engine is idle or above. When you replace the alternator make sure you get the 110 amp version and not the 135 amp version or you will get another warning light.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh really? I saw a video that explained that was the cause of the symptoms, got excited it's not an alternator problem. Have an idea what it could be? I've been checking wires, not sure what fuses to check though.. Thanks

Are you taking off the belt? How’s the tensioner? When they go bad they sort of flop around.

OP
OP
M

Myster10

Reaction score
Ok the case is closed, I ended up buying an alternator and installing it took about 45 minutes and yeah it fixed the problem, they are pretty cheap online but the wife was hassling so spent the extra $100 haha.
Thanks everyone!