"Check Charging System" and battery light constantly on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SloneRanger

Reaction score
Hi all:

New guy here, plus new to the 2nd gen Expedition. Recently bought an 03 XLT 5.4 with 146k as a cheap get-to-work truck. Good condition, no rust, everything works... but the "check charging system" error and battery light are constantly on. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, so I assumed it was a weak alternator or battery... it's proving to be tougher to diagnose. Here's what I know:

- I had the system tested at two parts stores; AutoZone quickly gave me a "you need a new battery" and moved on, even though the battery was sitting at 12.8v with the truck off. He didn't even want to load test it until I pressed him to do so. Got a second opinion at Advance - per their machine, everything passed.
- To diagnose the potential bad battery, I swapped batteries with my wife's 2012 Suburban. Her battery still gave the same errors in mine and my battery charged perfectly in hers. I don't think it's the battery.
- Thinking it's the alternator, I bought an OEM junkyard pull for LKQ from an 03 with 89k miles. When I received it, it looked like UPS had played soccer with it for a couple weeks. That alternator was completely dead and didn't charge at all. LKQ refunded my purchase and let me keep the bad alternator.
- I have tested with my meter (and analog one, unfortunately, so not super specific) and got just shy of 13v while off, 14v while idling, and a tiny touch higher under a 1500rpm-ish load with lights/radio/AC on.
- I tested the alternator cable from the battery for continuity; all good there, too.

Since those testing steps, I have driven the truck quite a bit more; currently I've put about 1000-1200 miles on it since buying it. Driving it to work on dark mornings, I noticed that my lights (interior and headlights) seemed a little dim, so I watched the charge gauge closer. When I start the truck (starts fine every morning), if I turn on the lights, radio, HVAC, etc... I can watch the charge gauge dip. If I leave it idling long enough, I can actually watch it go down. So the alternator is NOT charging right off the line when started. HOWEVER... and here's the weird one to me... once I put some load on the engine, the alternator "wakes up!" The lights get brighter, the gauge goes to it's usual slightly above center location and all is good. This all seems to happen once I hit around 2000rpm the first time. After that, it keeps charging just fine even at idle. I can rev the engine right after starting and it'll kick in just fine, or I can just drive normally and by the time I merge onto a street, it's good.

All this said to get to the point that I think the alternator IS bad. Maybe voltage regulator? What do you guys think? And on top of that, what would you do? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new OEM alt... do I a) buy another warrantied junkyard pick, b) buy a rebuild kit and rebuild one of them myself (if so, which? The OEM?), or c) just buy a quality aftermarket alternator?

Or am I missing something else altogether? Thanks everyone! I have to get this fixed before winter comes and I need warm the truck up before leaving... and the battery drains before I remember to rev it up ha ha.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All this said to get to the point that I think the alternator IS bad. Maybe voltage regulator? What do you guys think?
The auto parts store can check the alternator/diodes/voltage regulator while still on truck. (try a diferent store than before) also do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the previous owner replaced the stock 110 amp alternator with the higher output 135 amp optional alternator it will also trigger the battery light. The 135 amp alternator was only used on those vehicles with factory navigation (a very rare option in those days...) Your XLT came with a 110 amp alternator, and that's what the ECM expects to see and communicate with. If it is out of spec the computer will set the Battery light. Yes, your alternator can test fine, but it is not what the computer is spec'd to see and it doesn't like it. Use a NAPA or Motorcraft 110 amp alternator and your Expy will be happy. If it is not a 110 amp alternator the computer won't even tell it to charge the battery.

Harry

Reaction score
Hi all:

New guy here, plus new to the 2nd gen Expedition. Recently bought an 03 XLT 5.4 with 146k as a cheap get-to-work truck. Good condition, no rust, everything works... but the "check charging system" error and battery light are constantly on. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, so I assumed it was a weak alternator or battery... it's proving to be tougher to diagnose. Here's what I know:

- I had the system tested at two parts stores; AutoZone quickly gave me a "you need a new battery" and moved on, even though the battery was sitting at 12.8v with the truck off. He didn't even want to load test it until I pressed him to do so. Got a second opinion at Advance - per their machine, everything passed.
- To diagnose the potential bad battery, I swapped batteries with my wife's 2012 Suburban. Her battery still gave the same errors in mine and my battery charged perfectly in hers. I don't think it's the battery.
- Thinking it's the alternator, I bought an OEM junkyard pull for LKQ from an 03 with 89k miles. When I received it, it looked like UPS had played soccer with it for a couple weeks. That alternator was completely dead and didn't charge at all. LKQ refunded my purchase and let me keep the bad alternator.
- I have tested with my meter (and analog one, unfortunately, so not super specific) and got just shy of 13v while off, 14v while idling, and a tiny touch higher under a 1500rpm-ish load with lights/radio/AC on.
- I tested the alternator cable from the battery for continuity; all good there, too.

Since those testing steps, I have driven the truck quite a bit more; currently I've put about 1000-1200 miles on it since buying it. Driving it to work on dark mornings, I noticed that my lights (interior and headlights) seemed a little dim, so I watched the charge gauge closer. When I start the truck (starts fine every morning), if I turn on the lights, radio, HVAC, etc... I can watch the charge gauge dip. If I leave it idling long enough, I can actually watch it go down. So the alternator is NOT charging right off the line when started. HOWEVER... and here's the weird one to me... once I put some load on the engine, the alternator "wakes up!" The lights get brighter, the gauge goes to it's usual slightly above center location and all is good. This all seems to happen once I hit around 2000rpm the first time. After that, it keeps charging just fine even at idle. I can rev the engine right after starting and it'll kick in just fine, or I can just drive normally and by the time I merge onto a street, it's good.

All this said to get to the point that I think the alternator IS bad. Maybe voltage regulator? What do you guys think? And on top of that, what would you do? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new OEM alt... do I a) buy another warrantied junkyard pick, b) buy a rebuild kit and rebuild one of them myself (if so, which? The OEM?), or c) just buy a quality aftermarket alternator?

Or am I missing something else altogether? Thanks everyone! I have to get this fixed before winter comes and I need warm the truck up before leaving... and the battery drains before I remember to rev it up ha ha.
I've heard it can be the fuse that connects the alternator to the positive battery post. I have that same problem

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem, 5.4 2003. I recall at the time the passenger footwell was buzzing, but thought it was a loose battery connection. It was and I was on my way to work.

There is a thread somewhere here about the fuse panel needing replacement and that 'almost' fixed all of my issues. After too may dollars (hundreds at crappy shops) I went to the dealership. It took them (!) 3 tries to figure out in addition to the fuse panel replacement I already did (with an upgraded newer one I believe) it needed a new battery harness, cables to starter. NLA. They had to fabricate from scratch. Not cheap.

I hope yours is not that involved but the expy has been rock solid since. Knock on wood lol.

As a positive, and I have jokes, the replacement used fuse panel had all the fuses/relays, so I have a crap load of spares in the back of the truck!

Dick

DJ04

Reaction score
I had the check charging system and battery light on all the time problem too; I thought it was an alternator problem, turned out that the resistor wire (#31 if you have the schematic) was the problem. Local Ford dealer found problem and made up a new wire; seems OK now. The manual tells how the set up is supposed to work, if you have access to one; however that led me to believe the alternator was at fault when it was not.
My Gen 2 car (205K mi) seems to have lots of electrical issues, some big, some little. Perhaps old age is attacking it!

Looking through the posts, I am not sure about different alternators. I have the Navigation System with all the CDs etc; now not supported any more, I am not sure it even will work and, if I am not mistaken, all the info which came with the car when new (first owner was a fanatic, kept pretty much everything) shows a 110 amp alternator, not a 135. I will check again one of these days though my Expe came with everything you could get on a 4wd Eddie Bauer.

Last edited: