Timberline Transmission Skid Plate Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, sorry no pictures. I got and installed myself the Transmission Skid Plate from Ford. It does come with new bolts and spring clip nuts. It can be installed with one person, but recommend a box or something underneath it to raise it up for your initial bolts. I used a creeper. 6 bolts in total, 4 with 15mm heads and 2 with 10mm heads. Completely remove the existing cover including the brackets where the rear supports are attached and all the spring clip nuts. Install all 6 new spring clip nuts. The 4 big bolts attach to the outside of the main frame rails running front to back. The rear most bolts go where the original brackets were attached. The other two large bolts attach near the back of the front wheel well liners. The two small bolts go where the front bolts were on the original cover, but the originals were 8mm bolts. No instructions came in the box only a bar code that takes you to an accessories instructions database, which instructions for this do not exist. Because it was dark and cold installation time was around 60 minutes, and if instructions were included maybe 30 minutes.
Same part noted above? This replaces that ‘fiber’ plate, and Is there a panel to access the drain plug, or am I completely wrong where this mounts?

Hardrocker

Reaction score
I installed the Raptor skid plate on my '19 Expy a year or two ago. Just required some mounting bolts. Got the instructions from this forum IIRC.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
Same part noted above? This replaces that ‘fiber’ plate, and Is there a panel to access the drain plug, or am I completely wrong where this mounts?
Yes, same part number as listed above and I got mine in one day, so no big back orders. It does have an access panel with 4 small bolts for oil drain plug, so the trans skid plate does not need to be removed for oil changes.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
Correct, the Timberline does not come with a Transmission Skid Plate. It comes with Engine, Transfer Case & Gas Tank Skid Plate, but no Trans. It does come with a fiber board cover with what looks like heat reflective material on the top side of it for the Trans.

jar0023

Reaction score
Well. My skid plate kit arrived today. Picked it up at the dealer at lunch. Just had time to open and check. No hardware. Just the main panel with oil change access panel attached. Was a nice hole in the box. Back to the dealer tomorrow to try and resolve.

AKDV

Reaction score
My skid plate is on order…definitely interested in what you find out regarding your missing hardware.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
Mine did come with the trans skid plate and a bag with 4 large bolts and 2 smaller bolts and 6 spring clip nuts for the 6 bolts. If your kit did not come with the hardware pack make the dealership resolve it because it should.
If anyone finds installation instructions please share them because as much as I’ve searched I can’t find any. Most of the install is straight forward, but I’m not positive if the front of the trans skid plate goes above or below the attachment point. You would think below, but there is a bend in the middle of the plate attached to the vehicle for a tab in the existing cover, so tightening the 2 bolts in front bends that plate attached to the vehicle.

Last edited:

jar0023

Reaction score
Just to update. Local dealer worked with me on the nuts/bolts. They had the larger m10 in stock. Ordered me the M8? for the front attachment. No charge by dealer.