Timberline vs Stealth Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm interested to see the different part numbers for these components.

Ford isn't really that specific as to what is different with the Stealth Performance Package versus a standard Expedition. "Sport tuned suspension" - what exactly does that mean? what components are different?
Springs, and CCD(Timberline has non CCD) Suspension tuning that is all I am aware of between the Timberline and Stealth as that is what this thread is about. There might be a difference in the Sway Bar, but have never looked that up.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Tahoe has better braking because it's a newer product on a newer platform made to be better than fords current platform.
Better is arguable. Have you seen the massive lack of clearance in the rear?

Like I also outlined above, different wheels and tires have a great effect on braking and handling.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased but MotorTrend tests are always lacking in my opinion, and I am not a fan. Their results are all over the map from the same car one year to another with no changes. Their editors also ignore curb weights and 1/4 miles times and make blind assumptions all the time.

I recall reading their braking results from same generation Expeditions with zero changes from like a 2007 to a 2012 with hugely varying braking distances. Makes no sense.

My truck (2023 F-150 with 5.0L V8) they have listed at 6.2 seconds 0-60. Not one other outlet has repeated results that poor, so MotorTrend either isn’t disclosing they are at a high elevation or their testing method is poor. Car and Driver, MotorWeek, and TFL all posted 5.5-5.9 seconds (5.9 sec at the worst) for the 5.0L. So where 6.2 seconds comes on raises an eyebrow, especially when they claim repeated launches.
I was merely introducing a different set of testing data. 60-0 is the standard, where as Car and Driver uses 70-0. Your comment was part of my point, testing parameters vary greatly! It is hard to control them all, like temperature of both the tire and the surface. Tire Pressure, and other things. Increasing pressure, therefore decreasing contact patch will increase braking distance.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SOOOO many factors. These tests are on a track usually. When you drive you have thousands of parameters like surface type, coarse, smooth, asphalt, concrete, temperature, debris on the road, moisture, the list is endless. Also each TYPE and SIZE of tire will handle different which each set of parameters. No one tire will win all different parameters. The Timberline in some occasions will brake better than the Stealth and vice versa. Way too many factors to digest.

Bottom line is its a 5500 lb vehicle and more with passengers, fuel and cargo. You have to drive it different. Changing tires and stuff to make it possibly brake better is a waste of time as there is only so much you can achieve AND all the parameters for different conditions/surfaces may negate your expense.
I agree on the factors, SO many.

Under the same conditions, on anything paved, the Stealth "should" have less stopping distance all other things equal, because of the things I mentioned above. Those same advantages become disadvantages on non-paved surfaces. It is a trade off.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Better is arguable. Have you seen the massive lack of clearance in the rear?

Like I also outlined above, different wheels and tires have a great effect on braking and handling.

I'm just going off of testing data between the two. A newer product that's used the best product of a category as its baseline should have better testing results naturally.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Springs, and CCD(Timberline has non CCD) Suspension tuning that is all I am aware of between the Timberline and Stealth as that is what this thread is about. There might be a difference in the Sway Bar, but have never looked that up.
Not to confuse things, @LokiWolf , but CCD is not included as part of Stealth, nor Stealth Performance packages. It is an additional standalone option. Both Stealth and SPP do mention the undefined 'Sport -Tuned Suspension' as part of the 303A and 304A packages, and in the 2023 order guide at least, lists two versions of CCD (as separate options). Snippet from 2023 Ordering Guide:

1683219110927.png
1683219076092.png

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to confuse things, @LokiWolf , but CCD is not included as part of Stealth, nor Stealth Performance packages. It is an additional standalone option. Both Stealth and SPP do mention the undefined 'Sport -Tuned Suspension' as part of the 303A and 304A packages, and in the 2023 order guide at least, lists two versions of CCD (as separate options). Snippet from 2023 Ordering Guide:

View attachment 77577
View attachment 77576
I had seen that, but I have never seen a Stealth Performance without it, and I have looked at a ton of Window stickers. So I would assume at that price point, most have it.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had seen that, but I have never seen a Stealth Performance without it, and I have looked at a ton of Window stickers. So I would assume at that price point, most have it.
That could very well be. I did order it on mine.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 77577
View attachment 77576

That's my consternation. No one has been able to break down what exactly is different about the Stealth Performance Package suspension versus a regular Expedition. I might just have to wait 2-3 years when you can see the difference in the part numbers on a publicly accessible parts diagram.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's an add-on option.
I made the same assumption that the 304a must come with CCD.....here I am with an SPP with NO CCD.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett