Timberline vs Stealth Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the exact differences is between the two? Is it just tire, shocks, and springs? Website just says SSP has 'painted red calipers', so I'm guessing the same brakes?

Reason I ask, is I had a close call under braking on the Timberline.... and maybe I'm just used to small sports cars, but the braking felt like eternity. I found a Car and Driver review of both and the braking differences tested between the two was 11 yards... how's that possible?

Timberline - Braking, 70–0 mph: 216 ft
Stealth Perforamnce - Braking, 70–0 mph: 183 ft

Assuming brakes are the same... I think the differences are tire related and will probably switch to a dedicated road tire since that's 98% of my drive with exception of a few trips to the snow.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huh? So let me see if i understand. You bought a slightly off-road focused SUV, and you are surprised it stops slower and in greater distance than a Sports Car? In addition, you are going to solve this by putting "road" tires on an off-road focused SUV?

Stealth performance has wider rubber, with less give. In addition the springs are a slightly higher spring rate, and the dampeners are CCD, so they adjust. Tires will help, but only a bit. Weight transfer is probably way more pronounced in the Timberline, which contributes to the greater stopping distance.

Basically it sounds like you bought the wrong model...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Loki said. Bigger tires and softer springs make for an off road beast, but sap a bit both on power and braking performance. A timberline is not to just look cool, it’s an off road oriented SUV. The Stealth performance is an on road SUV. This is like a Limited F-150 with 22” street wheels vs a Raptor, they aren’t even remotely the same or for the same purpose lol.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stealth is going to have better braking and handling than the Timberline because it was built to. Yea its same platform, but its modded for off road use, which deteriorates its on road use.

OP
OP
S

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
Right, I plan to use it as intended. But until I do, I don't mind swapping wheels/tires depending on my current use.. especially if its safer.

Same reviewers were also able to achieve better braking on the Tahoe Z71, with similar tire/weight. So how does GM do it?

Braking, 70–0 mph: 184 ft

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MT's test put the Z71 and Timberline within 11ft of each other 60-0. Another factor is tirewidth, and they are not the same tire. The Expy is 265 width Territory's, and the Z71 is 275 Trailrunner. Both Goodyear, but different traction. The Territory is a B, and the Trailrunner is an A. Basically the Trailrunner is a little grippier. On the Z71, it is a 20 Inch wheel vs 18 on the Timberline.

Less squish, More rubber, stickier compound = 11ft better 60-0 for the Z71.

Still, you bought the wrong truck. If you just needed something to go through the snow, should have bought a Non-Timberline, and put snow tires on it in Winter. My 2 cents.

Comparing the Z71 vs Timberline is a better comparison than Timberline vs Stealth, because COMPLETELY different use cases. Heck if just driving in snow the Stealth with Snow tires would have been just fine, assuming not many feet of snow...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased but MotorTrend tests are always lacking in my opinion, and I am not a fan. Their results are all over the map from the same car one year to another with no changes. Their editors also ignore curb weights and 1/4 miles times and make blind assumptions all the time.

I recall reading their braking results from same generation Expeditions with zero changes from like a 2007 to a 2012 with hugely varying braking distances. Makes no sense.

My truck (2023 F-150 with 5.0L V8) they have listed at 6.2 seconds 0-60. Not one other outlet has repeated results that poor, so MotorTrend either isn’t disclosing they are at a high elevation or their testing method is poor. Car and Driver, MotorWeek, and TFL all posted 5.5-5.9 seconds (5.9 sec at the worst) for the 5.0L. So where 6.2 seconds comes on raises an eyebrow, especially when they claim repeated launches.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SOOOO many factors. These tests are on a track usually. When you drive you have thousands of parameters like surface type, coarse, smooth, asphalt, concrete, temperature, debris on the road, moisture, the list is endless. Also each TYPE and SIZE of tire will handle different which each set of parameters. No one tire will win all different parameters. The Timberline in some occasions will brake better than the Stealth and vice versa. Way too many factors to digest.

Bottom line is its a 5500 lb vehicle and more with passengers, fuel and cargo. You have to drive it different. Changing tires and stuff to make it possibly brake better is a waste of time as there is only so much you can achieve AND all the parameters for different conditions/surfaces may negate your expense.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh? So let me see if i understand. You bought a slightly off-road focused SUV, and you are surprised it stops slower and in greater distance than a Sports Car? In addition, you are going to solve this by putting "road" tires on an off-road focused SUV?

Stealth performance has wider rubber, with less give. In addition the springs are a slightly higher spring rate, and the dampeners are CCD, so they adjust. Tires will help, but only a bit. Weight transfer is probably way more pronounced in the Timberline, which contributes to the greater stopping distance.

Basically it sounds like you bought the wrong model...

I'm interested to see the different part numbers for these components.

Ford isn't really that specific as to what is different with the Stealth Performance Package versus a standard Expedition. "Sport tuned suspension" - what exactly does that mean? what components are different?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani