Time sert 5600 kit needed ... maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that is a lot of work Agentt3 but it looks like a great job. I'll be curious to hear how well your insert stays in place. I guess I don't understand how you tightened it enough to keep it from backing out under operation. I'd love to hear how it drives now that it's fixed. :)

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
I used the sparkplug against to insert to put it in and torque it, hence the anti seize on the sparkplug threads. The locktight on the outside threads of the insert will hopefully hold it on the next plug change. I was going to use an illaborite long bolt with a lock nutt, but I opted for the faster way. I'll post here when I comes time to change it out and let y'all know. Also if I have a failure of the insert I'll post.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the sparkplug against to insert to put it in and torque it, hence the anti seize on the sparkplug threads. The locktight on the outside threads of the insert will hopefully hold it on the next plug change. I was going to use an illaborite long bolt with a lock nutt, but I opted for the faster way. I'll post here when I comes time to hanger it out and let y'all know. Also if I have a failure of the insert I'll post.
Okay I'll be following this with interest. I think you did an awesome job. It is definitely something that I would never have attempted but it seems like a great solution.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should you need to tap another hole, coat the tap with gobs of grease. It will hold the majority of shavings then use a bore scope to inspect the cylinder.

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
I have used that method before with success. I just decided to use the vacuum and 3/4" tube to make sure the grease would'nt drop in the combustion chamber. I have a borescope but I'm tech retarded so couldn't figure it out. So I went on blind faith and aggressive sucking with the vacuum.

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Day 2 of driving it, and no problems in sight! It's nice to have our family ride back. I've put it through its paces entering freeways and haulin as much ass as an expy can. I held it at 5,000rpm ish for a good 5secs before it shifted. It's like it was before the sparkplug popped out.

Btw I forgot to mention I have 233,000 miles on the clock. I'll check back in if anything changes.

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Update:
I have 235,000 miles on it and just towed a small trailer with utv. Both probly weighed ~2,000 pounds combined, The expy tugged it no problems. I've also driven to the coast with big hill climbs and passing people. No problems yet!

OP
OP
Agentt3

Agentt3

Reaction score
Another update, sold the expy with no issues on the insert, it had approx 245,000 on it and I was sure to check the torque before I sold it. Back yard fix wins !!!

forrestgto

Reaction score
Hey Agent..just repaired a customers car with your idea.. so far works great!.. Had some ideas to simplify and quicken the fabrication of the insert though.. I own a small shop but have every tool imaginable and I also have a masters degree in black smithing and engineering.. neat thing is that the 2 major shops here tried and failed!.. This looks like it will work!... Thanx! Forrest..sent message/conversation to you to contact me (my cell # text) if you like

Last edited: