Timing Chain installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watsonj8

Reaction score
Replaced my right cylinder head on 99 expy 5.4 triton. I only took off the passenger timing chain. When reinstalling the chain, the timing jumped. So, I remonved everything again and lined the timing chain mark up with the crank sprocket mark (single mark on timing chain) and the centered the cam sprocket timing mark up inbetween the double links that are black on the timing chain. Turned the moter over and sounded really rough. Could the driver side chain jump even though i never touched it?? Have taken this motor apart three times for this issue. Have had two different "mechanics" help and haven't gotten anywhere....any suggestions or pictures to help with this process....should I start over again and redo the timing to make sure it is correct? on some of the information that I have obtained, it says to remove the covers and then turn the crank key at twelve oclock. then use a a crank holding tool and turn the crank back. why is this? is that tool critical...

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Watson, having had to go through this myself, I can understand your frustration. I don't recall all the details as it has been a few years since I did it. For the most part it sounds like you did things right. As for needing a tool, I never used it. But, the tool does make things easier to do. So, you can take it for what it is worth.

Looking on another site back at when I set the timing, I put the double links down on the crankshaft and then the single link went up on the camshaft. This should put you in a situation where the crankshaft gear marker is in the 6 o'clock position (with #1 cylinder at TDC) and then the passenger head gear marker will be in the 11 o'clock position to make the marks line up. Please keep in mind that this is what I used on my 97 5.4L motor. But, it should be the same for your motor too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr