Timing job complete!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know if you need any help with the new oil gauge. I moved mine farther over to the right by cutting off the tab on the dash plastic which isn't really needed anyway so I can see it easier while driving.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me know if you need any help with the new oil gauge. I moved mine farther over to the right by cutting off the tab on the dash plastic which isn't really needed anyway so I can see it easier while driving.
Thanks. Not sure where I want to mount it yet. Might get a dash mount pod for it. Right now its sitting on the cowl wedged under the wiper arm for testing!

Last edited:

Underdog66

Reaction score
After 20 hours over 4 of the hottest days of the year, the timing job is complete! Enjoy the sounds of my new quiet engine!

https://youtu.be/UopgO2scIr4

All I need to do is replace my radiator cap and install the new oil pressure gauge and everything will be complete!
I tried to comment on your YouTube video. I'll say it here; AWESOME! I'm knee deep in an 05 complete timing job and as you alluded to in your video, I could not have even gotten this far without Brian "Ford Tech Makuloco" either. I've watched the video series on this repair at least a half dozen times. :p

I'm still a little 'gun shy' about it, but I picked up this 05 for $2500. The previous owner had sank $5000 into it over the last year and a half. He had the rusted rocker panels professionally replaced, complete brakes, including rotors, calipers & pads, all four wheel hubs, both lower control arms, 4wd shift motor and other odds and ends. He didn't want to spend an other $3500 to have a repair facility complete the work.

I figured I'd give it a try. I've got about 10 hours into it and am at the cam shaft removal stage. Its been hot here too, but I only work on it a little at a time. I find its better for my mental health to just walk away at times.

Thanks again for the update AND the inspiration. Nice work. :thumbsdown::cool:

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to comment on your YouTube video. I'll say it here; AWESOME! I'm knee deep in an 05 complete timing job and as you alluded to in your video, I could not have even gotten this far without Brian "Ford Tech Makuloco" either. I've watched the video series on this repair at least a half dozen times. :p

I'm still a little 'gun shy' about it, but I picked up this 05 for $2500. The previous owner had sank $5000 into it over the last year and a half. He had the rusted rocker panels professionally replaced, complete brakes, including rotors, calipers & pads, all four wheel hubs, both lower control arms, 4wd shift motor and other odds and ends. He didn't want to spend an other $3500 to have a repair facility complete the work.

I figured I'd give it a try. I've got about 10 hours into it and am at the cam shaft removal stage. Its been hot here too, but I only work on it a little at a time. I find its better for my mental health to just walk away at times.

I had to do the same thing. Having a clear head, especially during reinstalling the roller followers, is key to doing the job right.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to do the same thing. Having a clear head, especially during reinstalling the roller followers, is key to doing the job right.
i'm saving up as of now to do my timing job, as I had started to notice a little clack and clank when I went camping in the mountains a couple weeks ago. it's not all the time, and my assumption was that it was louder at that time due to the higher stress on the engine ( 6,000 ft hard climb at mt. baldy ), it's still generally a decently quiet engine but i'm starting to prepare myself for a complete timing job, with new oil pump and basically everything FordTechMakuloco recommends with all the specialty tools ( boy still expensive to DIY ).

did the job cause a lot of stress? I'm used to turning my own wrenches but it's only been maybe the past five years or so, with only basics like transmission service, suspension replacement, spark plugs ( not on the ford though ) and basic part replacements & maintenance services. would be the biggest thing i've undertook, that's for sure.

OP
OP
rwmorrisonjr

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not a lot of stress, but lots of patience is needed. Just take your time and it‘ll go well. Don’t try to do it in two days unless you’ve done it before! Also, lay all the parts out next to the proper side of the engine, especially the tensioners, so it all goes back together properly. Make sure you stuff a towel or two into the oil pan when changing the oil pump so you don’t lose a bolt into the pan!

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score

how did this repair go?

Underdog66

Reaction score
how did this repair go?
I'm still working on it. I have too much going on right now. LOL.

I ran into an issue with the bolts for the replacement oil pump. Although not technically part of the timing job, Ford TechMakuLoco suggest to upgrade to the high volume pump while the front cover is removed. It makes sense to me. However my inch pound ratchet must be defective. I overtightened one of the bolts and it snapped. I had to purchase a set from the dealership. Today I did get back to working on it. I installed the oil pump w/o snapping any bolts. It was a bear trying to get the bolts back in that connect the oil pickup to the pump.

I did remove the camshaft and the roller followers. As I was cleaning and checking the followers and camshafts I noticed some grooves in the camshaft. I watched several videos to find out if this was 'normal wear' or if I should be concerned. Brian (aka FordTechMakuLoco) usually mentions one way or another if an area is of concern or normal. No mention either way if grooving in the camshaft where it meets the towers is normal or something to repair. Any ideas?

Thanks