Tinting an expedition with privacy glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nytimes770

Reaction score
Hello. Our expediting came with privacy glass in the back windows. Is there tint already on the factory windows that needs to be removed? Or can they just tint on top of the way it is.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The glass itself is tinted. No tint film on the windows. You’re good to go.

Dclr

Reaction score
The guy who tinted my windows (all around w/ 20%) told me the factory embedded window tint didn’t actually block any UV radiation.

Said it was more privacy focused rather than keeping it cool.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dclr is correct. Just tint, no UV. I put 70% ceramic with UV on rear doors, back (side) windows and rear window. Makes it slightly darker, but I wanted the UV protection. Also tinted fronts with 30%.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had additional tint applied over factory tint on multiple cars. The rear windows almost get a limo tint appearance- even at 30% additional.

And spend the extra money and get ceramic tint.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven’t decided to do anything just yet on the expy. Have a metal tint on our car that blocks uva.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This can’t be stated enough... pony up and do every window sans windshield.

I tinted my windshield with clear tint. Works very well and you can't even tell it is there. Legal in TX.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
I plan on getting tint put in mine as well, 18 Limited. It has the privacy glass, too. My 2 front windows have film in them that the original dealer installed (and charged the original owner more for tinting 2 windows than what I was quoted for the entire car! ) I'm going to have that film removed and redone.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The correct answer is to put 15% or 20% over all factory tinted side glass. 5% goes on the visor, rear glass, and two front side windows. You are welcome. Anything less and you are driving around in a sunroom and with zero privacy.....and folks coming up behind you still illuminate the inside of your vehicle. I have been using Llumar for years.