Tire Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It actually doesn't matter - the manual says you can only put the cable/sock type on the rear, and NOTHING on the front. Too many things the chains can grab onto behind and around the wheel I guess...

I was disappointed to find this out but nothing can be done about it - unless you look up the mods the "lift with big tires" guys (Expedition Dave) did and maybe you can figure out how to protect brake lines/ABS sensor wires etc.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Sitting here in Virginia fondly remembering deep snow (not!).

From my 2017 Owners Manual (I imagine this has not changed):
Use only cable type chains or chains
offered by Ford/Lincoln as an
accessory or equivalent. Other
conventional link type chains may
contact and cause damage to the
vehicle's wheel house and/or body.
• Do not install chains on the front tires
as this may interfere with suspension
components.
• Only certain snow cables or chains
have been approved by Ford/Lincoln
as safe for use on your vehicle with the
following tires: 265/70R17 and
275/65R18.
Appears tire chains are not approved if you have the Country Club trim with bling wheels larger than 18".

-- Chuck

Utah Driver

Reaction score
I don't see any need for anything more than snow tires on this heavy beast if you have 4 wheel drive. Plenty of traction with my Hancook Dynapro At2 and they aren't snow tires. Had a chance to play with the Exp the last couple of weeks with big snow storms in Utah. Super stable even in the deep slush and later on solid ice.

Attachments

• 20211231_075056.jpg
    20211231_075056.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211215_050616.jpg
    20211215_050616.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 29

Janky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a pair of SCC Super Z-6 SV117. I believe I found them on a different thread. They fit the rear 22's on my 2018 Max, but I have only installed them once in the driveway. I was about to use them earlier this year but a nice fellow in a Jeep came along right as I was laying them out. Under the right conditions, the factory tires can create little "ice cups" which for me were impossible to get out of. FYI, I was planning to use 2H to back out of my spot. I would use 4H or 4L, but only if I had to and only for a very short distance if the chains were on the rear.
(FYI, the yellow clips should be turned the other way)

Attachments

• DSC_3017 (1).JPG
    DSC_3017 (1).JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_3015 (1).JPG
    DSC_3015 (1).JPG
    108 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_3013 (1).JPG
    DSC_3013 (1).JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the new Nokian Hakka 10 winter tires that were also studded. I originally had a tinge of regret driving on the bare pavement but now that winter is in full effect and the past two weeks have been -35C daily, the snow is hard packed and ice everywhere. Even a recent trip to the Rockies over mountain passes that had many trucks and suv's parked, the Expy with those tires plowed like a road maintenance crew. Literally zero worries. But I can understand those that need chains as their climate does not dictate a winter set up full time...